• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early open water panfish... bobbers?

Slyster

Do most of you experienced panfish anglers use bobbers or not for early open water Panfishing? Today I bought a few spring bobbers and slip bobbers.. but not very experienced (yet) with panfish so I'm not sure what to do.

Last summer (mid summer) I caught a lot of amazing sunfish.. but only used 1" tubes (mostly black/green) with 1/16 or larger jig with NO bobber. Have yet to try for early panfish in April and May.

Got a much larger arsenal now for this spring!

Spring fishing for panfishoften equates to silid depth control, which means a float. Tubes,twisters paddletails....everything will fish its most productively under a float. There are a million of them to choose from, but in the open water I fish one hands down to all others and it is the #2 Thill Mini-Stealth. Using the small rubber tube that comes with each float, I rig these to be "fixed" but quickly adjustable.

Before tying anything to the line, run the tag end thru the small hole in the stick of the float. Next, slide the small rubber tube on the line and run it right up onto the stick and over the line right up to the float body. You can now slide the float to the depth you want and it will stay there.

Spring crappie fishing will be accompanied by a ton of up-ward hitting fish, especially prior to the spawn. These are the only floats that I have found that will simply tip over at hits of this sort when fished with the lighter jigheads and plastic. Others might rise up in the water just a hair, but in waves or from a distance it is often too little to see a hit where these will just lay right over on their side. Reaction time of the float and being visibly able to show all hits regardless of what the water deals you is paramount to doing well.

Like many of the more popular floats available today for ice fishing, these too have a balance point that governs their effectiveness. While the mini stealth in the #2 is my go to for all fishing with a 1/32 head and plastic, I carry the same in a size 3 and 4 should I find the need to upsize the head weight or if (heaven forbid) I find myself using live bait. Remember too, that float effectiveness will be determined in part by line weight, lure weight, and depth you plan to fish. The Thill Mini-Stealth can be fished as a slip float too, but I use a Today's Tackle Wave Buster if I get into that style of fishing.

CT -

Should I continue to use 2lb line for open water, such as I do with ice fishing, or is it better to go to 4lb (or something else). What do you do?

By the way....I like the new ® on the end of your name! Good job!

Bass...lol

The 2pd will work fine if you are comfortable with it. Remeber though, fluorocarbon lines, even those with just a coating, will sink and you'll find misery in hooksets when using it while float fishing. I usually just change to the Trilene XL. I carry at least four rods during the open water and at least one will have fluoro for free lining and one will have two pound xl. The others will have 4 pound xl.

I dont know what Tom does,but I will cast it out and let it sit,then pull towards the boat a few feet and let it sit again.I do this until im back to the boat and then start all over at a different spot unless I caught one in that area.If there is a little wave action I will let it sit and bob before I will pull it to a new spot.

I tend to fish very fast. I cast, let r settle a second or so, pop itacouple feet, sttle, pop it again, brief settle and reel in. I will toss the bait into the same spot several tmes if I thing it looks fishy. Some times I cast one bait into an area two or three times, then switch to something else and do the same number of casts. If I get a pop an a cast and the next cast back to the same spot doesn't get the hit again, I will always cast a second bait in there for at least two casts. I always look at the second bait as a contrast in profile tothe first....no.1 might be a paddletail, #2 a tube or a micro-shad.

CT -

Thanks for the info. I guess I've never used the fluorocarbon before, I only have the Trilene 2lb XL (I'm a big Trilene fan).

Just one more follow-up question. What rods do you use for open water, i.e. - brand name, length and strength?

Thanks.

Tom I found some of those in a new style (mini stealth) They no longer have the hole through the bottom it is more of a hook arrange meant.. and the rubber that covers seems to be more sturdy ?

Any thoughts? have you seen them ?

I have some of these "new" models and have tried them a couple times [last season]and can't really give a fair reounting of how they worked. I'll be on the water shortly and they are at the top of my list to check out.

This basically the same lock-up as what the Gapen floats have used in the past with generally good luck, so who knows. I like to try things and skip the assumptions- usually saves me from having to wipe the egg from my face. I'll be sure to let all know what I find. If you get touse them lets us know what you think too.