• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new puppy

wyldewal

Hi guys, I just got my first lab she's a little black. Well little for now. crazy.gif She's just 7 weeks old and I've had her about a week. I know that it's to early to start any serious traning, Right now we are just working on the house training and getting her to recognize me as the new "top dog". What I was wondering is when is the right time to start her training. and how to start it. I know it will be a while but I wanted to be prepared. I also know I have to keep it fun for her. Any advice would be great and If anyone has some recomedations for books or articles that would be great too. Thanks in advance for any help, and I'm sure I'll have many many questions.

I'd say enjoy your new dog for now... they grow up fast...

If you've got some basic commands like here, sit, (stay, but I make this a part of Sit.. you stay at sit until I release you), heel, and basic stuff, like no jumping up on people, etc complete by 6 months you'll be in good shape. The other thing to work on is retrieving and building up the desire for retrieving...

In the younger stages don't throw bumpers until the dog gets tired... throw 2-3 serious ones and one or two fun ones and put the dog / bumper away... so the dog is always wanting more. Continue to do this until the dog is at least 3-4 months, if not more. Try and do this at least twice a day... And one other thing... once you get stay (or sit, depending on what you prefer) be sure to throw a bumper or two that you get yourself... this will help build the understanding that not every bumper is for the dog.

I would highly recommend John and Amy Dahl's book 10 minute retriever...

Water Dog /etc by Wolters is ok, but perhaps a little outdated... some of the puppy stuff is ok.. but do not feel pressured to stick to the schedule laid out in that book.

Above all, have fun with the puppy.. go for walks, and try to get the dog out in the field for walks a little bit too.. it'll help boost her confidence...

marine_man

I would say the same... work on simple commands such as sit, stay, and heel if possible. I would highly recommend getting her on wings around 12-15 weeks. Do not let her "play" with the wing, put her on a 50 ft. rope and throw the wing. Gently "guide" her back to you. repeat this a few times a day until she doesn't need the rope anymore. This seemed to work very well with my choc. lab. I would also recommend getting her trained with a shock collar... it is a life saver during the first 1-2 years in the field. good luck!!! wink.gif

I have an 11 week old chocolate that already knows sit, stay and heel. Its amazing how fast they learn when you use little treats.

As marine_man said, I throw her bumper two or three times a day and whenever I take it down she gets really excited and will bring it right back.

My advice to you would be to read "How to condition your gun-dog" by Joan Bailey. Her advice was excellent and made training my puppy fun and easy and I already see the benefits.

Have fun! The first weeks are great!

I 2nd the recommendation for Joan Bailey's book. I read it several times with my first pup. He is now 13 months (still a pup) and he had a successful first hunting season. The approach of this book was different than what I was used to when thinking dog training. It appears to be working to this point. I need to get some of the more "traditional" training books to help with the finishing work (whoa - steady to flush and shot & possible force fetch). Steadiness and retrieving were my only concerns after season # 1.