• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance X-85

FishFondler

Question

I recently installed an X-85 on my boat and am having some trouble with the higher speed reading. I have the transducer in the same spot as on my old unit. I have played with adjustments.

I get great bottom mapping at low speeds but as I speed up I start to get spotty grayline mapping on the screen. The digital readout stays good but the bottom maps very fragmented. My old unit always mapped a nice bottom even at high speed. I have tried to max the sensitivity but did not solve the problem. Do I have a setting off? Is this the way X-85's work at 20 to 25 mph? Suggestions to try here? Thanks for any help. Brian

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply Surface Tension,

I did tweak things some more by lowering the transducer further into the water and that helped some but the mapping of the bottom is still inconsistent. I do not get a continuous bottom read out but little bits of bottom gray line and then blank skips (no bottom mapping) at speeds over about 28 MPH. My chart speed is maxed out and I played with that last night by increasing and decreasing and I assume Maximum is best for high speed as that seemed the best. I also have played with the sensitivity setting.

Any one have other suggestions??? I am not sure what else to try and wonder if it is just the unit?? Brian

My x70a died on Friday so I had to steal my Dad's X-85 for the weekend tourney. It read the bottom great, I had a skimmer transducer, and could only go up to 40mph.

If you're having lots of problems, try many different locations of your transom. I had a terrible time with my previous boat, getting air bubbles and the transducer, even though I was far from any rivet lines.

Eli

FishFondler, i've got the exact same prob. i had it with an x-85 2 years ago, and now have the same problem with my x-97. like you said, i've played with sensitivity, scroll speed, ping speed and placing the transducer away from lines of rivets on my boat. still no luck! my dad's go basically the same unit, execpt its an eagle (less power that the lowrance, but all the same features and buttons) and his works flawlessly at 45 mph!! not a skip and bottom looks like a picture. his boat has no rivets (crestliner). i'm wondering if this is the key. anyways, i'm gonna keep on tinkering, but please let me know (anyone) if they have any thoughts or advice. thanks in advance. goose