• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice

outdoor ran

I don't normally check the atv form much so if this topic is beat to death just point me in the direction of some old post.

I'm going to buy a 4 wheeler in the spring, I've never had one and clueless. Heres what I need it for, a litttle driveway plowing, hunting and some ice fishing. Is a 300 big enough or would I be better with a 400. I only weigh a buck fifty. Is a automatic the way to go now? I'm trying to find a wheeler that dosn't cost alot, dosen't need to be fast just dependable. Hope to hear some suggestions, thanks.

There are alot of wheelers to choose from!

300 class:Arctic Cat 300-Bombardier 330-Honda Rancher 350-Y

Yamaha Bruin 350

400 class:Arctic Cat 400-Bombardier 400 HO-Honda Foreman 450-Honda Rancher 350-Kawasaki Prairie 360-Suzuki Eiger 400-Yamaha Kodiak 400 and 450-Yamaha Big Bear 400

There are so many different things to list,a 300 to 350 machine will do anything you want it to do.Automatic trannys are just select high or low and push the gas (simple and always in the right gear).There are alot of variables to list,but I'm not that fast at typing.So if you have some specific questions you would like opinions on feel free to ask them.

If you buy a newer quad you would be ok with any manufacutures' offerings.

If you buy a used older model, I would stick to honda, their older quads are simple and bullet proof, no bells and whistles, (no auto trans), but very reliable.

Test ride a few and see what you like, and then go from there.

We bought an Eiger 400 this fall for the same reasons you had in your post and absolutely love the machine. Moves snow great, hauls the trailer out on the ice with gear and kids and the best part is the automatic for the wife, less stress on me when she takes it out. Just my opinion!

my two cents.

I own an 04 artic cat 400 and my brother owns a 650 v twin. must be an older brother thing has to top me. i weigh about 150 aswell and the 400 fits me perfect. his 650 twin owns me. i can still ride it but handling is stiff for me. it is an automatic and for what i use it for (same thing as you) it is the only way to go. I have a large snow plow business and i have a 5ft plow on it that i use for sidewalks, i have never had a problem plowing some pretty heavy snow. actually i have broken two plows now and the cat has only had spark plugs changed. never had a problem starting it in the cold. Ice fishing i have hauled two clam voyegers with me and a buddy clear across mille lacs. my only complaint is my brother thinks it is fun when he kicks rocks in my face cause his is a bit faster.