• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10" Double

hanson

Got your attention! tongue.gif

Anyway, a small group of us hit the ice after the Winni I.C.E. Series event in search of some panfish and found a pretty decent bluegill bite.

I was minding my own business when BDR (Brian Rogers) yells at me out of his shack.

"Hanson," he says "Do you mind taking a photo for me? This might be the biggest gill I've ever caught in my life!"

Brian now has my attention.

"Wait a minute" I yell back. "I need to pull this one in first"

...and a bluegill with proportions I've never seen before pops out of the hole, and then my eyes pop out of my head!!

My gill was without a doubt the largest gill I've ever caught. I measured it on my Litte Dipper scoop and it was an even 10" (measured from the 6" mark to the 16" mark). Brian's gill was a tad shorter at about 9 3/4", it just wouldn't make that 10" mark.

I still can't believe that both these fish were caught within 30 seconds of each other about 10 yards away. I can't wait to see that happen again.

hansbdr8ui.jpg

Custom Jigs & Spins Ratfinkee in chartreuse color tipped with a couple EuroLarvae produced all the fish for me today. We landed lots of gills in the 8-9" range, a few crappies going 10-12", and some jumbo perch as well. I believe BDR had a perch that was pushing 14".

Here's a shot of one of my crappies. Chartreuse Custom Jigs & Spins Ratfinkee tipped with a couple EuroLarvae sealed the deal on this one.

hansoncrappie7zo.jpg

What a fun day!!

Sweet!!!

Glad you found some fish today. Kinda made up for the so so fishing the day before huh?

If we only had fish like that in the metro.

Here are a couple pics from my day spent fishing with Matty...

januaryfishingpics0144vv.jpg

januaryfishingpics0160jp.jpg

Caught these fish on some jigs from Little Atom. Used spikes for a while then switched to their soft plastics instead and had good luck.

All fish were released today.

Good fishin',

Corey Bechtold

Quote:

If we only had fish like that in the metro.

Amen brother!!

We had a great day and everyone caught fish! I saw Captain B.R.K. with a solid 9 1/2 incher as well.

We went from super tight lipped perch on Winni to hungry gills & crappies. It was refreshing to actually fish active fish.

grin.gif

Nice fish Chris and Brian!

Corey and I found some piggies up on a different lake. I see Corey already posted a few from our adventures. Here's a couple more...

MJicegillPa.JPG

MJicegillPrelease.JPG

Looks like quite a few nice gills were landed this past weekend, gotta love it! grin.gif Nothing like a big gill, they are my personal favorite!

Like Corey mentioned, we worked the Stealth Jigs from Little-Atom, and they proved exceptional on those gills! We tipped them with either a maggot or a plastic, and both seemed to work very well.

Size 6 Ratso's also worked, but once the fish started getting a little finicky we had to downsize a bit.

Great pics everyone, and again, congrats on the big fish!