• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

370's, 440's or even 500's?

lawdog

What are you guys seeing around or getting for kids to ride as starter sleds? I'm thinking 12-16 year olds here. I am looking at something mid to late 90's and was thinking of a 440 or even a 370, but I wonder if a 500 would be too big for a kid to handle? I think obviously they'd have a little longer useful life if you go bigger rather than smaller, but I don't want it too big for them to start either...

THOUGHTS??

Oh, PS: It WILL be a Cat!!!

My thought is that 500 is too much at that age. There are a lot of nice Polaris 340's and Arctic Cat Jags (also 340) around at great prices. A buddy of mine just bought a '98 Jag for his 14 year old with 800 miles on it for 1,500. The thing looked new...

It depends on the Experience and physical strength of the rider one can do a lot of damage on a 250 or 500 but waverunner is right a 500 liquid is a bit much for younger inexperienced riders.

For the 16 year old I would look for a fan cooled 440 great all around sled that will last not to heavy and should be relatively maintenance free.

For the younger rider's like waverunner said 340's or if you can find a nice 250 that would work.

Lawdog,

I feel a lot depends on the kids. At that age there are kids who are mature for their age, some are smaller and some are bigger. And it depends on riding experience as well. My 14 y/o just bought a 670 this year but then he is also 6’2” and 290.

A 440 would be a great sled I think for most kids to start with. A lot of it is responsibility of the driver. Most of the cars we drive have more power and will go faster then we drive them too but that don’t mean we use that top end. Some of us know that we need to keep our feet out of it.

I was riding an 1989 Indy500 Classic when I was 16. It didn't really get me into too much trouble but I would have considered myself mature for that age as well.

I know there were adults running around on 700 Wildcats & 900 Thundercats that acted just as mature as a junior HS kid.

440 fan would be my choice for a son/daughter that age. It won't take long though for them to be wanting "more power" however. grin.gif

That's pretty much what I have been thinking guys, was primarily looking 440 but I just wanted some other opinions, so thanks for giving me some! My folks have two 1990 Jags that I rode before I got my '93 EXT and he's ridden them and done good (I suppose I should mention that was after I learned to ride on our old John Deere Trailfire!!!). I'm thinking something in a 440 fan if I can find a good one.

I am lucky to be living in rural northwoods where my boys 9 and 11 can get some driving experience under my direct supervision.I found an old 78 jag 300 that was the perfect training sled for both. On a sled trip up to Voyageurs, I ran across a 96 jag 440 and bought it for a grand. M y oldest just completed training a week or so ago and this will pretty much be his sled. He seems pretty comfy on the thing and hasn't had any mishaps yet. I think a sled like this would be fine for your kids starting out and when they get real experienced you can always sell it or keep it around as a backup.

I've started my nearly 11 year old daughter on a little light trail riding this year. We stick to low traffic times and she's right behind me all the time and of course I walk back and drive across the roads for her. She's driving an old Indy Sport 340 and sometimes she also drives an Indy Trail which is a 488 fan cooled.

The one thing that I've really found she likes on the Indy trail is a product called Easy Steer Carbides. The idea is that there is a shorter strip of carbide in the middle of the ski. It sure makes steering easy but I don't like it for when I ride without the kids as the steering control is not as good as a regular carbide at a little higher speeds. Definitely nice for the kids though. I'm going to switch the easy steers over to her Sport.

One more thing about the kids riding. She has a lot of time put in just riding on the small lake in front of our house. Stick time before trail riding is important.

ccarlson

ccarlson