• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Robbins

ND Jig Head

I did most of my birding in the northern Red River Valley of N.D. for many years. Especially in the last 20 years or so, it's more and more common to see robins overwintering in cold climates. I think it's because of the high numbers of ornamental crabapple and mountain ash and similar trees in urban areas. Some robins will hang around all winter if it's not a particularly harsh winter and there's fruit for them to eat. It's not at all uncommon for local birders to stake out a few known robin locations so they can tally the species on Christmas bird counts. Thirty below usually thins out the robin redbreasts pretty quick, though.

Havn't seen any Robins yet this winter, but last winter I seen a bunch of them around this time. I seen a couple up in Coon Rapids, while comming home from a trout fishing jaunt and later in the day I seen what must have been about 15 birds in a small swarm, down in the Camden area...thin, streamlined birds on winter rations.