• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Roller Guides

metro 1

Question

I'm thinking about putting roller guides on my trailer ( the vertical ones at the rear) to help with loading my boat.I see they have different styles and prices and was wondering if anyone has these? I seem to have a difficult time getting the boat on true,not off by much but seldom on perfect.The trailer is a Shorelander Profile2000 and the boat is a Crestliner 18'pro-am.Thanks metro

16 answers to this question

Is that a full roller Shore Lander? I have one and if the trailer is not almost perfectly level in the water the boat will load off to one side every time, and will not be level on the trailer. The only way I could see the vertical rollers helping is if you had them pressed tight against the boat. Next time you are at the launch check and see how level the trailer is in relation to the water.

It's a full roller and I got to think there is a way to adjust or put the rollers on to make it work. I think yesterday the trailer was slightly out of level and sure as anything it's crooked again .Metro

My buddy has a Shorelander and a Crestliner, we spent the better part of the after noon measuring and adjusting the rollers. While it did seem to help the key to getting it on straight seems to be in how deep the trailer is in the lake.

I have roller guides on my trailer and they do help. When backing in I watch the water level on them so I back in the same depth when loading. Once the boat is winched to the trailer I check the gap between the boat and the roller guides and if it is too close or far give the boat a shove or tug prior to pulling the boat out of the lake.
Then the boat is on level and ready to roll.
A word of caution if you install the roller guides be very carefull when loading with a cross wind or heavy waves you do not want the boat hitting the top of these rollers !

My best advice would be to find a boat access that is not busy , probably during the week and load and unload several times while changing how far you back the trailer in to the water. After you find the ideal depth make note of the water line on your tire or fender anything that you can see and remember easy. Then the next time you load back in until the water depth hits the same spot.

Hope this helps !

Did you watch the boat loading video on the Shorelander web site ? http://www.shorelander.com/pages/o_tips.html

I'm not an expert by any stretch but what if you set the boat on the trailer good and centered, then mounted one vertical roller in such a way that the boat would rest against it, while mounting the roller on the other side a few inches wide of the boat? Then you would just have to make sure that the boat was resting against the critical roller each time you loaded the boat. Or would that take its toll on the roller over time?

Just a thought. Maybe someone with more experience in the area could comment.
Nick

We installed "bunk guide on's" from Cabela's a few years ago on our 1890 Lund, and are very satisfied with the set up. If the trailer is not level there may be a half inch off from center. I have had the roller guides on another boat and it was still hard to load in a wind. The bunk guide on's are spendy, but the only way to go in my opinion.

Not a bad video but did you notice how level the trailer was to the water? Also it was a bunk trailer and not a roller. I have tried different depths and the outcome is always the same if the trailer is not level with the water. My buddy has the same boat I do but he has an all roller EZ Loader and he does not have the same problem. The EZ loader does not have the rollers in the middle of the forward part of the trailer like the Shore Lander and I believe that is where the problem is. If you think about it, if the trailer is not level in the water but the bow of the boat is perfectly centered on the winch post the center of the boat will not line up with the center of those forward center rollers. You have to picture what is happening under the water and I think you will see what I am referring to.

If anyone has any ideas on adjustments for this I am all ears. Again, I don’t think the vertical rollers will solve this problem but if they do, let me know………

KINGFISHER, Have you had any problems with the bunks scratching the paint on the side of your boat ? I considered buying the bunk guides but what I read on this forum said that they are rough when dry and will damage the finish on the boat.
Was this not true?

I too have the bunk guides and have not had finish taken of my Crestliner. I have a Karavan oller trailer and Yes - If the trailer is not level - no matter what you have for guide on's the boat will not center. The best rule of thumb for roller trailers is not to go into too far. The measurement I use is the very last roller should barely be touching the water. This means, you fenders are completely exposed and your trailer look is like it is 3/4 of the way out the water. But, the boat will go on straight!

My next boat - bunk guides rather than roller trailer....Too many problems with a roller trailer, expecially the centering capability.

I forgot to mention: I got my trailer guides from Karavan directly. Actually saved more money than going to Cabelas. Cabelas does sell the Shorelander guides. Do not get get the rollers, but the bunk guides. Bass Pro has them too

klbowe; I took a close look at our boat today and there is no scratch marks from the carpeted bunk guides. If a guy got gravel in the carpet it could possibly scratch the boat, the carpet felt nice and soft.

Just proves you can't believe everything you read ! Thanks for the info.

The plastic rollers I have do work well with my LUND as the seam hits them perfect. It is however hard on the rollers. When they wear out I may consider bunks.