• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barred Owl

buzzsaw

Good ones, Mike. I especially like the textures brought out by the feathers and the tree bark in the closeup. An even tighter crop would accentuate those textures by not allowing sky to draw your eye away. All you'd have is shades of bark and feather, then. Another thing to try, if you have a flash, is to give the shot a little bump with fill flash to kill the shadow in the bird's eye sockets. I've found the flash doesn't seem to spook the subject most times, and you get a good look at deep eyes that way. Too much flash and the hollow in the tree, which is black now, would take on distracting detail.

And there you have it. That's all nothing but opinion. Your shot is excellent as it is. grin.gif

Dang Mike,

You tell me you're going to see owls, and you post owl pictures. I'm impressed man. Nice photos too. I gotta tell you though if this is working for you, you might want to convince yourself that you're going to get Ivory Billed Woodpecker shots--Guaranteed, a good shot of that bird would buy you all the camera gear you'd ever want. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Tom

Quote:

Dang Mike,

You tell me you're going to see owls, and you post owl pictures. I'm impressed man.

Thanks, I know where this one lives, so it made it easy to say I was going to do it and actually get it done. grin.gif

Actually, I have such a good eye that they can't hide from me and the mouse squeek box helps as well. tongue.gif

Great photo's Buzzsaw.

I am impressed. I know for a fact that the average person has no idea how difficult it is to even see an owl, let alone take a picture of one. These pictures are awesome. These guys will make your blood run cold if you hear one at night. Especially if their territory is threatended.

If I knew how to post pictures I could post some of my own owl shots. I have pictures of a great horned owl and a great grey from last year. I have seen more of the barred owl but I have never got a good picture of one. These are great creatures that are not appreciated like they should be.

I request more owl pictures if anyone has them.

Blood run cold? Those things make my ticker stop working!!! Mostly because i'm trying to listen for the gobble a split second later. Barred owls and barred owl calls have given away many a gobblers location for me!

Great photos, and great stalk. We've got a pair outside the house, and i usually only get close enough to see them fly out of the tree. Kudos.

Joel