• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's seeing what and where??

buzzsaw

It makes sense for us birders and photographers to share information with each other. Here are a few good places to take pictures:

1. MN River Valley between 35W and Cedar ave (77) on Blackdog Rd. I have been seeing alot of Juvenile and mature Bald Eagles , Red Tailed Hawks , some Bufflehead , Goldeneye and Common Mergansers as well as Black Legged Kitywake Gulls , Pelicans and Cormorants. There has been sightings of the Gyrfalcon , not by me however.

2. Mpls/St. Paul Airport ~ SNOWY OWL ~ off of cedar ave you take the 66th street exit and follow the frontage road back southward and go left on Cargo road, follow this under/through tunnel and start looking everywhere... you will see other birders out there... believe me!

3. Colville Park in Red Wing is supposed to be good for Eagles (haven't made it there yet)

4. Monticello ~ Is supposed to be great for Trumpeter Swans and lots of them! Not sure on directions, any help would be appreciated.

5. Minnehaha Park ~ Follow downwards past the falls to the "Dog park" and you'll see a Kiln and close by should be a Barred Owl ?? that the regualrs have named "Shakespeare".

I'd like to hear what everybody else has to offer. grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

4. Monticello ~ Is supposed to be great for
Trumpeter Swans
and lots of them! Not sure on directions, any help would be appreciated.

I have heard this before... I would like to know also if they are still there of it is a migration point that they stop at. Again any info would be appreciated. Thanks and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

This may be slightly off topic but is anybody else not seeing the same amount of birds at their feeders as in past winters? or is it just me? it seems I'm not getting much bird action at the feeder this year and I even put out and extra tray this year witht the amount of snow we've been having. Tons of squirrels..may have to be thinned out a bit even but have all the good stuff..black sunflower seeds, etc.....just wondering.

I get a ton of birds, but my backyard butts up against Murphy Hanrehan Park preserve and that helps. Mostly Cardinals, Goldfinches, Blue Jays, Junco's, Sparrows, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers and the very occasional Piliated. Nothing real good until springtime when the Orioles, Catbirds, Rose Breasted Grosebeaks, Yellow headed Blackbirds, Scarlet Tanagers (few), Indigo Bunting (few) Robins, House Finches, Purple Finches, Yellow Warbler (few) & Hummingbirds show up in masses. I always look forward to the first week in May, it seems like the magic week.

I just mix up the Black Oiler seeds with the pre-mixed stuff and fill all six of my feeders and keep the eight suet cakes filled around the house as well. Every once in a while I'll through something different in the mix like last falls Acorns that I saved or Squash seeds that I baked and they chowed!! They aslo ate an Apple that I had left out and decided to put outside instead of in the garbage... they also got some burnt Chex Mix (thanks to the wife) which the squirrels appeared to like more.

My property is ajacent to a natural park with diffrent types of flora and fauna..oak, swamp, cattail, etc for some reason just haven't seen the diffrent types of birds as last year...I did notice a couple cats cruising through the area by the feeders which may explain a little, thought maybe it was just the weather or something. I agree, by the beginning of May you can barely hear yourself think in the AM with all the racket going on in my backyard and surrounding area..pretty cool.

Woods are definitely a positive around here anyway. The farther from them one lives the harder it is to attract birds. Think that's part of the reason we've had so few chickadees, that and the warm, tending towards partially open winters. There are plenty of chickadees in the woods to the south of us. They just have no reason to risk flying all the way up on the top of our hill. Am happy with the variety we have here including this winter's nuthatches, blue jays, house finches, goldfinches, juncos, downies, hairies, & red-bellied woodpeckers. The pheasants are becoming more at home with their surroundings and should continue to with more brush plantings. There are days when there is little activity at the feeders too and Saturday after seeing the sharp shinned hawk again, not too difficult to figure out why. Still, didn't hurt my feelings to see him chasing the house sparrows around. All part of the system.

I find it interesting as to why this year I've had so many birds at the feeders (I've only had em out since christmas)...last winter I had the very same feeders(a major larger feeder with the black sunflower seeds in it) hanging from the same branch and the same tree ..same black (mixed) sunflower seeds for feed.........and...............nothing for weeks... even my wife mentioned she's noticed the difference(however ,this year I did add suet for the first time)....Last year I think I went 3 weeks before a house sparrow arrived sometime in march...and then just the sparrows...not sure why this happens....This year..wood peckers...nut hatches...red polls...chickadees...juncos...blue jays...I remember posting last year that I thought i lived in a "black hole" in regards to attracting wild birds....this year entirely the opposite.....jonny grin.gif

Here is some information for the local photographers/birders.... It appears we have it all in our own backyard... except maybe Bear and Wolves, which I'm ok with.

Minnesota River Valley Mendota Region East Loop

Two hundred and forty-four avian species have been recorded at Fort Snelling State Park, one of the highest totals for any Minnesota state park. On Gun Club Lake, waterfowl congregate by the thousands in spring and fall. This is a great lake for Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup and many speicies of "puddle ducks", such as Northern Pintail, Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal, Northn Shoveler, Amercan Wigeon, and, of course, the ubiquitous Mallard. In addition, over 25,000 Amercan Coot gather here in the fall. Black Dog Lake is best known as a wintering site for water birds such as ducks and gulls, because the Black Dog power plan keeps large areas of water open no matter how low the temperature drops. During November and December, Black Dog's open water attracts many species of gull, including Thayer's, Iceland, Glaucous, Great Black-backed and Lesser Black-backed. The lake's surrounding habitat attracts Rough-legged Hawk and Northern Shrike. During the summer, the habitat on the south side of the lake attracts nesting Willow Flycatcher and someimes Bell's Vireo. Amercan Woodcock display here in April.

Many Twin cities birders know the Bass Ponds and Long Meadow Lake area of the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is on eof the best places in the Twin Cities for viewing birds during spring migration. From late March toearly June, the Bass Ponds, are flooded with a long list of spring migrants. Large rafts of ducks, geese and Tundra Swan congregate on Long Meadow Lake to feed and rest. As spring advances, a variety of passerine migrants are found here: Winter Wren along the creek and Hermit, Swainson's and Gray-cheeked Thrush along the wooded paths. Twenty to twenty-five species of warbler, plus vireo, flycatcher, kinglet and woodpecker can be found in the trees and brushy edges on the good day in May. In the winter, the creek is open and one can find wintering Song and Swamp Sparrow and an occasional Winter Wren or Virginia Rail.

Site Contact Information

Fort Snelling State Park (2,931 acres) - This park features 18 miles of trails in the river bottoms where the Minnesota River joins the Mississippi River. 612-725-2724 or 612-725-2389. www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/fort_snelling/indes.html

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center (25 acres) - The center has a large amount of information about the entire river valley, a book store and very helpful staff. 952-854-5900. www.midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/visitor_center.html.

Bass Ponds (80 acres) - 952-854-5900. www.midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/long_meadow.html

Old Cedar Avenue (2,200 acres) - The old bridge has been closed, but there are plans to replace it sometime in the future. This should not deter you from visiting this prime birding location. 952-854-5900. www.midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/long_meadow.html.

Lebanon Hills Regional Park (2,331 acres) - 651-438-4671 or 651-438-4660. www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/hills.htm

Black Dog Lake Unit (1,300 acres) - This is a good place for winter birds, because the power plant on the east end of Black Dog Lake keeps part of the lake open year round. Keep an eye out for Peregrine Falcon on the power plant. 952-854-5900. midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/blackdog.html

Mendota Region West Loop

This portion of the Mendota Region contains a number of very accessible birding hot spots. With its woods, grasslands, wetlands, marshes and lake, Hyland Park Reserve has long been a favorite Twin Cities birding spot. Nearby Bush Lake attracts water birds and the surrounding marshes draw a variety of wetland and marsh birds. The diverse habitats in Hyland Park Reserve provide resting and feeding sites for a variety of migrant sparrows, especially Harris's, White-crowned, Lincoln's and White-throated; wrens; thrushes and, of course, warblers and vireos. Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Indigo Bunting are commonly sighted here during summer and the feeding stations at Richardson Nature Center provide excellent winter bird watching. If you are only able to visit one site in this region make it the Louisville Swamp Unit. A local favorite for field trips, this unit has as wide a range of habitats as any unit in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. You can experience upland grasslands, oak savannas, riparian habitats, a variety of woodlands, marshes, swamps, lakes including shorebird habitat, and, of course, the Minnesota River. What more could a birder ask? The area has a compsite list of over 250 speices, inluding Prothonotary Warbler nesting along Sand Creek. Twenty-five species of warbler as well as vireo and many other passerine migrants can be found here on a good day in May. In the wet lowland areas, you'll discover large numbers of ducks, geese and herons. Clay-colored Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark and Eastern Kingbird are commonly seen on the uplands and Field Sparrow can be heard singing in the oak savanna. Walking trails give easy access toall of these habitats. Spring and fall migration periods and the summer breeding season are equally good times for birding at Louisville Swamp. While Murphy-Hanrehan Regional Park attracts many migrant song-birds, it is primarily known for sheltering a wide variety of unusual breeding birds. The park, located in a densely populated area of Scott and Dakota counties, contains a dense stand of old growth deciduous woods. Nesting within the park are Blue-winged, Cerulean and Hooded Warbler; Acadian Flycatcher; Wood Thrush; Veery; Red-shouldered Hawk; and even a pair of Common Loon. This is the only nesting site for Hooded Warbler in Minnesota. The park's grassland trails are good places for observing sparrows, Bobolink, Sedge Wren and both species of meadowlark. And if this isn't enough to entice any birder, the marshes are filled with Yellow-headed Blackbird, Marsh Wren and waterfowl.

Site Contact Information

Hyland Lake Park Reserve - 1,000 acres. The area around Hyland Lake is heavily used, so plan accordingly. 952-941-4362 (Visitor Center or 952-941-7993 (Nature Center). hennepinparks.or/parks/hylandlakepark.cfm

Izaak Wlaton League Property - 32 acres. The site is generally open from sunrise to sunset, but you may want to call ahead to be certain. The trail down the hill to the river is quite steep. 952-944-1423.

Bloomington Ferry Unit - This unit contains a foot bridge that crosses the Minnesota River. 952-854-5900. www.midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/Bloomington_ferry.html.

Wilkie Unit - 600 acres. Thisunit contains an owl roosting area that is off limits to the public. Part of the trail may be closed from March 1 to August 31 to protect a Great Blue Heron colony. 952-854-5900. www.midwst.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/wilkie.html

Louisville Swamp Unit - 2,440 acres. 952-854-5900. www.midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/Louisville.html

Murphy-Hanrehan Regional Park - 2,400 acres. Some trails may be closed in early spring if they are too wet. 952-447-2171. www.hennepinparks.org/parks/murphy-hanrehan.cfm.

You guys might know of this spot. Highway 101 and stagecoach road. You go south on stagecoach off 101 then it turns east, it is kind of a frontage road. There are rail road tracks that go under 169 you will cross. I turn left "east" there and walk the tracks with my dog. There is a big group of wild turkeys there that will let you get real close. I bet you could get some great photos there. Its worth a try late afternoon is when I've been there. wink.gif