• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

01' Honda Rubicon ???

cybermuskie

Hey Guys here's a stumper for me. After I hit the starter button my starter will stay engaged! We are pretty sure it's not the starter button. Is there a relay or something that might be acting up? Anybody had any experience like this?

Thanks

Start at the battery and follow the red battery cable to the starter solenoid. The wires from the starter button could no way handle the current to the starter so, there is a solenoid for that.

It could be the starter not disengaging, too. You could pull the starter, hit the starter button to see if it engages and disengages okay.

First a couple questions for you...do you mean the starter keeps cranking after releasing the switch, or the starter stays engaged after it starts? For instance... if you were to leave the kill switch off and crank it does it keep cranking after releasing the button?

Does it react the same warm as cold?

If the button is working right it almost has to be the solenoid sticking. All the current to spin the starter goes through it. The starter will only crank with power supplied to it.

If you mean that it stays engaged after starting it could be a sticking or damaged starter drive gear.

As long as it has power it is cranking! I will turn the key and the starter starts without even pushing button. It will usually stop when I put it in gear, but otherwise if the kill switch is on or in netural...it's trys to keep starting. So yes to both questions...even when running, the starter keeps trying to start. Warm or cold it does it.

Ok that simplifies it somewhat. Its probably that the solenoid is stuck. Its located under the seat and near the battery. An easy test of the solenoid can be done.

Looking at it from the top there are two large lugs with heavy red wires....one from the battery... and one to the starter. Ignore these. Then you will also see 2 small gauge wires coming out (green and yellow both with red stripe I believe) and going to a connector. Unplug the small wire connector and turn on the key. If it STILL cranks the solenoid is bad or stuck closed. If it doesnt crank then the problem is wiring or starter button.

If it is the solenoid, you can try tapping on it and possibly get it to free up. It could possibly stick because of trying to start it with low voltage, causing an arc that fuses the contacts together.

Otherwise the solenoids are not too expensive. I believe they use the same one on several models.

Thanks for your help....I will check that out tomorrow! I ran with the starter unhooked today. It doesn't pull start to bad, but don't want to do it everyday! grin.gif It all started after I brought it in to check on my broken thumb warmer in a heated area. Usually it's in the non-heated garage. Every now and then, when the starter was working, I would hit the button, and it was almost like tha batt. was dead. It would try to start, then it would be a second or 2, then really start turning over good. It has done that for quite awhile. I have cleaned all the leads also. So who knows.

Hmmm, I wonder if the wiring for the faulty thumb warmer somehow came in contact with starter button circuit? Its possible it shorted and got hot enough to melt and fuse the wiring together for the starter button circuit. Its worth a look after you do the other tests......

The thumb warmer hasn't worked since I took it in for a tune-up and a new choke cable quite a few months back, and the starter just started doing it's stuff last week. I had a friend that works on wheelers look at it the other night, but he doesn't work and Hondas. He was going to ask the guys at the other shop, but I knew someone on FM would have a idea. He is coming back Monday so I will check out the ideas you gave me Macgyver! Any idea on the delay in starting when the starter was working?

I could be wrong but I still think solenoid. The starter gets no current without it energized, so even if the drive stuck on the starter and it didn't disengage from the starter gear, it would still quit cranking when the button is released. The slow start of cranking could be the solenoid was starting to get sticky and was not allowing full current to the starter right away. Hopefully it is the solenoid...its probably the cheapest and easiest fix.

it took me a few days to remember, but i believe a rancher came into the shop w/ the same problem and if i recall correctly (was about 2 years ago) Macgyver is right- replaced solenoid and works like new.

Quote:

An easy test of the solenoid can be done.

Then you will also see 2 small gauge wires coming out (green and yellow both with red stripe I believe) and going to a connector. Unplug the small wire connector and turn on the key. If it STILL cranks the solenoid is bad or stuck closed. If it doesnt crank then the problem is wiring or starter button.

Well I did the test, and after I unhook the starter button wires it didn't do it. SO I guess that leaves the starter button or the wiring. From the looks of how that thing is wired this is the worst thing it could be. I am guessing the only way to track all the wires will be to take off the outer plastic shell to be able to see. Of course then I have to spend a fortune buying those black clip that hold everything together. My friend that works at the shop can get parts for his cost, so it's better to try to do it myself if I can, rather than pay the shop rate. I had moisture in the button, so I opened it up tonight in the heated shop to see if that helps. I sprayed some starting fluid on it to try to help dry it, so I check on it in the morning. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

I guess I'd check it just a little further before opening it up too much. First thing I'd do is trace the wiring from the button switch to the first connector it goes to. I'd guess it is either inside or underneath the the headlight somewhere. (There are a few connectors there and the button cluster is a replacable part so I doubt that there would not be a connector somewhere near it.) Unplug it there, (make sure to reconnect the one at the solenoid) and try the test again. If it doesn't crank, the button is the problem. If it does crank, the problem is between that connector and the solenoid connector. Oh, and the black clips holding the wiring are reusable, so dont cut or break them. There is a small tab that unclips to open them. If you meant the button clips that hold the plastic on, they can be reused too. Just take out the center part of the button and they pop right out.

Based on my experience, it's rare to find factory wiring problems on most vehicles of any kind. More often than not the source of the problem will be found where moisture has gotten into a switch or a connector and caused corrosion. Pressure washing around switches and buttons should be done with care. The seals on them are not really designed for that high pressure force and if moisture gets in, its slow to dry out.

Wiring problems are most often caused by them rubbing on something or getting pinched and shorting out, so check the exterior of any exposed wiring that might have been subject to that.

I haven't really had a chance to look at it anymore, cuz Monday morning my wife decided it was time to have our baby! So I havebeen with her at the Hosp. since then! 6lb.11oz girl born Monday night. But I will check that stuff maybe Thurs. afternoon. I'll let ya know.