• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I Nuts?

1Yogi

Question

I put premium gas in my outboard and in saying so created a heated dicussion about a waste of money etc. My opinion is this the higher octane burns better thus the outbaord runs better and is worth the extra pennies, Even at todays prices.
I have the same opinion about Spark plugs as Gas if a plug is a little more expensive but gives me better spark it is worth the money. Better Gas Better Plugs =Better Preformance when I need it.

------------------
Commom sense isn't

4 answers to this question

I agree completely. I just put Iridum plugs in my Opti at 15.00 a piece. She purred oh so nicely for opener. I am also running Quickleen at 8.00 a bottle in my gas. The people that think you are nutts are the people that think 4.00 for a dozen shiners is crazy, yet they have a 20k boat behind the truck.

your right on with the premium gas in your outboard, but this topic is confusing to most because it's not the same case in all engines.

Most boat motors specify that a higher octane gasoline should be used. My motorcycle, however, does better with the lower octane.

I'm no expert, but here's what I was told by the guy that built my Harley (drag bike) motor. I realize this is not an outboard, but his guy knows his motors.... ALL motors...

"Only use premium gas (high oct.) in motors with "high" compression (10:1 or higher) and high output ignition systems. Without those factors, the motor can not completely "burn" all the mixture in the combustion chamber and that leads to deposits, plug fouling and a loss in performance."

Believing as you do, I used to run premium in all my "off road" motors. Outboards, bikes, mowers, chainsaws..... Two stroke and four sttroke. But I really didn't see any performance gains or cleaner operation. I never went as far as to pull off cylinder heads, but in going from regular to premium, the plugs did turn a bit blacker. I have since gone back to running regular with no ill effects or loss of performance. And yes, it's cheaper too.

As far as plugs.... I've been fond of the NGK line ever since my race days. That's all we used. Are the "better" than other plugs? Maybe, but probably not. I think it's more a confidence thing. Some people like brand "X", others like brand "Y".... I happen to like brand "Z".... I do not use those fancy "designer" plugs. (Like the Splitfire type) I have personally seen extensive damage to pistons directly related to "funky" plugs. Some folks swear by them, but for me anyway, I'm not going to roll the dice.

I believe that by keeping your motor properly maintained and correctly tuned will give you that performance when you need it...

My humble two cents.....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)