• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how do i teach that?

JPowell

Grab him by the back of the neck with one hand and get a hold of him down by the tail with the other. Now pick him up and while doing so say kennel. Lifting him up like this for awhile will get him into thinking he must get up into the truck. Of course you can always try the treats method.

GOOD LUCK!!

Back your truck up to a spot - a road ditch or indrive - that cuts the distance he has to jump up from 3 foot to 1 1/2 feet. Use a consistent command - Up, Kennel, etc - and practice jumping in and out of the truck a few times, with plenty of praise when he jumps into the truck. A few sessions like that and he'll get the idea. Then move onto practicing the normal jump into the back, again with lots of praise when he makes the jump.

I have a 2 year old lab, Libby, that did not want jump into a truck at all. The way I taught her was to make her sit behind the truck and line her up and send her on a "treat retrieve" into the back of the truck. It took about three times doing it this way and she was more than willing to do it after that. One thing that I tried to do was make the trips fun. Maybe a trip to the lake, a walk through the woods, ect. If it was a trip to the vet for a shot, I always made sure we did something fun before going home. One of my buddies had an excellent lab that would not even come close to his pickup truck. Whenever we went on a hunt I had to drive my SUV so we could bring the dog. This phobia of his truck started the exact day he was neutered at the vet. For the next 12 years he had an extreme adversion to pickups. So that is why I tried to make it fun experiences for the first few times. Another option would be to get a buddies or neighbors dog and have them jump in first. I have a six month old male that has been jumping in since he was 2 months(or at least trying) because he sees his buddy Libby do it. The biggest problem I have with him is trying to get the kennel in before he piles in there crazy.gif

I hunted with a buddy of mine with a great lab, now gone, who when she was a young dog (around 2/3), missed once getting into the back of the truck and hit her head on the tailgate. Never again to jump into the back of the truck. She would always put her front paws up but from that day forward he could never get her to jump the whole way. My pup this summer didn't quite have the same effects. It took me awhile to convice him he could jump into the back of my truck. Treats, lower jump height, anything I could think of. When the light finally turned on his retartedness took over. There was twice in the following weeks where I told him to "Load Up" when we were standing in front of the truck, yep you guessed it. Right into the grill. He didn't get frightened either time, but he didn't make the bed either. My seven year old lab I just know shakes his head in disbelievement sometimes with what he does.

I had a springer that did'nt make it over the tailgate, so she ran arond to the front, and from a sitting position she cleared the hood and landed right on top, scrached the hell out of my hood.

I'd try the ditch trick and add a treat to it, also I know many people suggest not having dogs jump up and down until one year old. I have three dogs and I just got an F350 that none of them can make it into because it's way too high, it's really fun picking up a soaking wet dog and putting them in the back!!!