• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic cat running rough(warm weather?)

azzclwn

I have a JAG 440 late 90's carbed. Had it out for the first time this year, last night(some ditch bangin and some trail ridin) in the metro area.

Considering she just came out of storage, it started right up and was running really well. Got out on the trail and after about an hour of riding, stopped for a break and it wouldn't start back up. Plugs seemed to have fouled out, it was about 30-35 degrees out and I didn't have a spare set of plugs with me(I know, stupid). I pulled the plugs and dried them out the best I could, after a number of attempts got it going and was able to get it home. My concern is, I was not able to let it sit and idle, without some gas it would kill, and I was worried I wouldn't get it started again.

I'm planning a trip to northern WI in 3 weeks, should I be concerned? Was it just a combination of the outdoor temperature, and the fouled plugs that likely caused this stall out at idle?

If anyone has opinions/ideas I'd appreciate it.

thanks Peat, I'll check that out.

What plugs do you use in your sled?

I have been using the NGK BR9ES, and I've read that this plug my be too cold. Do you know what the manufacturer recommends?

Could you elaborate a little more on- "I just got the sled out of storage?"

How long was it stored? Did you just hop on and go for a ride or did you do a little preventative maintenance before taking it out such as a thorough carb cleaning and possibly putting fresh gas in the tank.

At the very least, I would pull the carbs and clean them good. You may have to adjust your idle speed up a little bit as well if you are still having problems.

Fresh gas and new plugs are always a good idea.

Just got it out of storage over the summer months(since march 05)

My PM at end of the season is to stabilize the remaining gas, I only use non ethenol gas, and I shut off the fuel line and run the carb dry. Spray some fogging oil down each cylinder and pull it over a few times. I have never had the carb off, is it difficult to pull and clean?

Before I took it out, she fired up and let it idle for 5-10 minutes, and it was running just fine. Seemed like once the enine got hot out on the trail, it didn't want to idle.

Quote:

Could you elaborate a little more on- "I just got the sled out of storage?"

How long was it stored? Did you just hop on and go for a ride or did you do a little preventative maintenance before taking it out such as a thorough carb cleaning and possibly putting fresh gas in the tank.

At the very least, I would pull the carbs and clean them good. You may have to adjust your idle speed up a little bit as well if you are still having problems.

Fresh gas and new plugs are always a good idea.

I'm willing to bet that the idle jet is plugged. Take the float bowl off the carb and there is a recessed hole inside the carb. Take a small screwdriver and unscrew the jet inside. Clean the jet with carb cleaner, and spray carb cleaner inside the jets, main jet also.

When the weather is warm it is good to change the main jet to the appropriate temperatures. Engines can be fussy with warmer temps and a rich jet.

think I found my problem, my airbox had come loose and caused the rubber sealing ring around the carb to partially come off and tear. Ipulled the airbox out and am going to try new rubber sleeve. Do you think that torn/loose sleeve could exhibit the symptoms I mentioned above?

Do you think that part is dealer only deal?

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't know too much about sleds.

Yep, dealer can only get you those parts. I've replaced carb boots before, and I did have symptoms like yours..but there was a lot of powder blowing into the engine and sneaking thru the carbs and into the engine. Ended up towing it home as that could lead to engine damage.

Might want to check compression. An easy (inaccurate) way is to remove one spark plug, put your thumb over the hole and have someone lightly pull the rope, but not too hard as it could give a false sense. If you feel a lot of pressure on your thumb it may be ok. Try each cylinder individually and compare.

I've had engines have your symptoms (engine ran good at high RPM, no idle) that ended up being a blown cylinder. 440 engines are darn near bulletproof, but you never know. And with the torn boot...the engine could meet Mr. Squeeky.... I hope not. Good luck.