• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel question

LakeTahoe

This may seem like a simple question and maybe I am overthinking it.

I bought 1999 Polaris XC used last year and it runs great, but I am wondering what is the best fuel to put in it. 87 octane or 91? or what? I read the manual, but it said something about oxygenated and non-oxygenated fuel.... can somebody clear this up for me. and can I mix seafoam with any of these octanes? I always thought I should put in 91 octane.

At the Ski-doo and Yamaha shop I've worked at for the past couple years we would run 91 octane non-oxygenated in everything. If you can't get the non-oxy where you are riding, at least get the highest octane, it does make a difference in newer machines. As far as the seafoam, it shouldn't matter. I always take 10 minutes and drain the carbs when I know I'm not going to ride for a few weeks or a month just to make sure nothing gets gummed up.

The other guys are right, in my opinion and experience.

oxygenated = with alcohol added as in all you can buy in the city. Use highest grade you can find

Non-oxy has no alcohol thought to be the "good stuff" and is sold in the country usually. Usually 91 octane.

Run your sea foam in either type. I try to buy the non-oxy when I can.

My EFI sled has an "oxygenated" chip in it, meaning it mixes things a little richer I believe since oxygenated burns a little leaner.

One thing I never understood is why guys would drive extra to find non-oxy fuel adn then dump heet (aka ALCOHOL) in it!!