• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Headlignt burns out?

HarryG

I am having a problem with a head light going out on my '91 Polaris Indy sled. I have replaced the bulb 3 times and it burns out with in a few hours of operation. I don't have any bare wires showing nor do I see any broken parts near the light bulb mount. Any suggestions of what the problem could be?

Does it seem brighter than normal? If it is Gisserts suggestion is possible. But ANY shorted wires on ANY accessory can cause voltage spikes. Check harnesses every where and try wiggling them with the motor running to see if the brightness changes. About the only things that make bulbs burn out prematurely is high voltage and vibration. If it is installed correctly and is the proper bulb the vibration shouldn't be an issue.

What the others have said.

Voltage Regulator.

I was crossing Upper Red at night back to my shack and my head light blew out. I switched to high beams and blew both of those out. My dash lights and tail light started to glow like a nuclear explosion and then lost the light in my tach & speedo.

Brought it into the shop and my voltage regulator was bad and very, very corroded. (road salt from trailering) frown.gif

Those halogen bulbs aren't cheap to replace.