• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

digital help

As I've posted here before, I've gone from a film SLR to digital SLR. I'm still learning, but what a blast!

With Christmas approaching, my impossible to buy for Dad wants a digital. Looking for something in the $250 to $350 range that it isn't too difficult to master and takes quality pics. Any advice??

Thanks.

I will disagree with Steve just a bit and tell you that there are many good cameras available in that price range that are other than Canon and Nikon. Sony, Kodak, Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, just to name a few.

Do a Google search for digital camera reviews and you will find a lot of good information that you can help you with the type of camera that will be best for your usage that will give you quality photos. Many of the sites allow you to input many variables, mps', zoom, brand, price, etc. Read a number of the user reviews once you narrow your cameras down to get an idea of what actual users think of your choice.

Now I am not saying that Canon and Nikon aren't good cameras, you will find those brands in the reviews, just that there are many good choices in that price range. Do a little research and you will find a good camera that has the features you want. I just bought my daughter a 6.0 megapixel point and shoot that has excellent glass and some nice features for $200. Have fun shopping smile.gif

Unfortunately that is one of the drawbacks to the majority of point and shoot cameras and the ultra zooms. That is one reason I stayed with the DSLR. Many of the digital review sites I have visited now include the shutter lag info, so again research should give you an informed decision.

The $200 dollar camera I bought my daughter has very little shutter lag, so I believe that they are getting somewhat better. Make sure you go a store and actually shoot some pictures with the camera and you will have a good idea of shutter lag.

I just got the Canon A610 for ? uh? my wife smile.gif I? She loves it!!! 5 mp, 4x optical zoom, and I think I paid about $250.00.. I really like the Canons. I have the elph, sd200, and love it.. compact, and sturdy. I even dropped it in water, and it still works...

I.G.--I would love to be able to give you some advice, but I know very little about P&S digital's. I have a Kodak something-or-other, but I wouldn't recommend it. That is based on performance and speed more than quality of the photos. The others though have some good advice. Shop around and go somewhere like National camera where you can actually touch them and play with them, then go to wherever you're gonna go to get the best price and know what you want when you get there. You probably aren't gonna find a 16-17 year old kid at a superstore that is gonna be very helpful.

Tom W

I'm currently enjoying my fujis5000...it takes pretty decent photos for the technology that was out there ..well..2 years ago......2 years makes a big difference...I need more pixels simple as that....not that my current camera won't take a clear photo up to 8.5 x 11 but I want to be able to crop a photo and not loose the clarity....that's my "main" reason for the pixel upgrade...I'm A "fuji" follower,just because I like the camera I have I guess...lol! grin.gif..I'm currently looking at the new fuji s9000(the gold award DIW)..."9megs"(of course I certainly wouldn't use the 9 meg. setting all the time) 10.7 "manual" zoom(to get away from the time lag in a motorized zoom lens) .8 sec. start up time..."5th" generation sensors)...super macro to 1/2" from the subject(for my butterfly and dragonfly pics.lol!)just a nice camera (certainly not saying it's the best but certainly will do the job for I'll ever need it for).. I saw this camera for as low as $459.00(usually goes for $600-$700 or so)....bang for the buck,it's a sweet camera!....this spring it'll be takeing photos out of my canoe on grassy-bay in the voyageurs park.. grin.gif...jonny