• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing Carp???

Has anybody every had success iceing any carp. What tactics might a guy try? depth? structure?

I've actually never caught a carp through the ice, nor have I every heard of one being caught. Do they go totally dormit throughout the winter?

I've always wondered what would happen if a guy threw some corn down a hole and gave it a try. I've thought about doing it on days where I couldn't get anything else to bite.

I also kinda wonder if my ice gear would handle a carp. I might have to bring out the big pike rods and I even wonder if they are up for the challange.

Any wisdom is welcomed. Thanks!

several guys on the Carp anglers group have caught carp in ice conditions there is a debate if carp feed below 50 degrees or not so every year they have a contest the FFF for the first fish of the new year---guys catch whoppers with snow on the ground--to much info to post here--better to go look up cold weather carp on the CAG forum

good luck!

Last year, we drilled a bunch of holes at our big fish spot on the river. We baited each spot with our special corn recipe and came back the next day with a video camera to see if there were any carp around.

Long story short, there weren't. We checked all the holes and the corn was still on the bottom.

I have heard others say that carp go dormant during the winter, I kind of doubt that though. I caught my 1st carp while I was vertical jigging with minnows in early December a few years back. It hit hard, fought hard and was only about 10 pounds. Water temps were in the 30's and if I remember, that was our last soft water trip of the year.

That got me hooked.

I think the key to catching them in the winter is finding out what they're eating and where they're hanging out.

We also fish the Horseshoe Chain alot in winter for cats and crappies, but have not caught a carp. In the Spring, we usually hook at least one carp on chicken liver on the chain, usually big ones too. At least 2 over 25 pounds.

You would think with as many people out ice fishing, you would hear about an occasional carp caught through the ice....

Tom B

I have never actually fished for carp during the winter, but did catch a couple one late ice fishing trip on Tonka.. They hit bluegill lures with eurolarve. What a battle on an UL... IF there was a way to catch them consistantly I would be into a trip somewhere!

About 4 years ago a buddy of mine hooked into a carp threw the ice when we were fishing for sunnies and crappies. He got it right up to the hole and saw that there was no way it would fit through the hole. One final run and...snap, she was gone. Bit on a small jig and crappie minnow.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I caught a 41 lb carp on Mille lacs using an Angel Eye Jr with a minnow head. That carp smacked it like a muskie and fought like one too!!

As Mr. Twisters mentioned, there is a good article on fishing through the ice for carp. If you Google "cag carp ice" you should get right to the article. Look for New England in the title.

This was a popular topic last year on the FM carp forum. But, it did not seem like anyone found the carp ice fishing secret in Minnesota.