• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

recommendations for a youth bow

trapper1

looking to get my 11 yr. old a bow that will have enough power to hunt deer with. what do you guys feel is a good bow that won't break the bank. also, if any body has a LH youth model for sale........Thanks!!

Minimum poundage for big game in minnesota is 40lbs. but the dnr still notes that even a 40lb draw weight with a short draw length might not have the kinetic energy to be effective. There are several good youth / ladies sized bows. PSE's Spyder, or the good ole Nova for example. Pearsons Pathfinder would be a good choice...it has 10 inches of draw lenght adjustment, and would be able to grow with your younger archer as he/she develops. The micro midas and micro adrenaline from Browning also fit the bill, as does the Browning Rage...all with adjustable drawlenghts with no bow press required. Prices will vary from 200 to 400 for a complete set up.

I tried to post this a while ago but there must have been server problems...

At any rate, what I said was go and see what your youngster can pull before you get too geared up to get him something right away. I was going to buy a bow this fall for a 12 year old and he couldn't pull any of the bows that would adjust high enough to be up to a legal weight for deer. They only adjust down to about 32-33 lbs and he couldn't do it. He's a smaller 12 year old, but he's no weakling. I doubt many 11 year olds could pull a bow that will be legal. Browning makes the same Micro in a 20-30 lb draw weight, but it would just get him shooting and you'd have to buy another one in a year or two anyway....

I just bought the Browning Micro Midas for my 12 year old this fall and it is an awsome bow. He should be able to shoot this bow until he's old enough to buy his own. grin.gif It's set for 35 right now and he seems to be handling it well. He broke his wrist a week after I bought it so he hasn't actually shot it all that much. Now I need to figure out what to do for my 10 year old. The best thing to do is stop in at a pro shop and let him/her shoot some of the youth bows. I went in thinking I was going to buy the PSE, but after shooting both, my son really liked the fit and feel of the Browning.