• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sleeping Bag Q's

EBass

Question

Hello fellow FMer's

This June I'm going to the BWCA for the first time and I need to get a new sleeping bag. My budget is about 80-100. I was wonder what brand and style to get.

I heard that down feathers will last a long time but are heavier and may not keep you warm if they get wet. (Last time I went camping all my stuff got soaked) But I also heard that you really need to try to soak the thing.

Then I heard (KFAN) that the synthetic feathers are lighter and keep you warm when it's wet, but they don't last a long time.

Can you guys/gals shed some light on sleeping bags? I don't camp often, but I would like it to be light because of the portages or are down bags not that much heavier? Rookie here!

Thanks,
EBass

3 answers to this question

For packing in, you'll want something lightweight that doesn't take a lot of space. I like a mummy-type with Qualofil and ripstop or nylon shell. It's warm and breathes pretty well. If I expect warm temps, I wrap a flannel sheet inside. I've had that bag for years but pretty sure I paid $50 or less at Fleet. Places like that have a big selection and you can choose by weight, fill and temps you expect to camp in.

Down is good only if it stays dry. For that reason I go with one of the hollow fills.
Choose a nylon shell because of it lightweight. Downside of the hollow fill fibers is it doesn't roll up as tight as down bags and should be stored unrolled or rolled up loose. Size matters as well. I like an over sized bag.

Thanks for your replies. So it looks like the shell is an important part and it's a toss up between down or hollow fill.

Well you gave me a clue and that's all I wanted. Again thanks for the tips.