• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SE MN Report

mnz71hunt

Friday 10/28:

Got on stand about 3:00pm, put out 3-4 scent wicks, climbed on stand. 3:20, in comes a 1.5 year old 8 pointer. At 5:00, I tried rattling, rattle in the same deer again.

Saturday 10/29:

Creek bottom - around 8:00am had a 1.5 8 pointer and a yearling buck come in. Then about 8:30, another 1.5 year old 7 or 8 pointer, this buck bedded down by the creek about 20-25 yards away. At 9:00 or so, all heck broke loose, here came what would have been a 10 point buck, being chase by another buck. The 10 pointer was missing the entire left side of his rack, likely broke off in a fight. The chaser was a heavy racked 8 pointer. This buck hung up behind some cover after he felt the other deer was no longer a threat. I waited to draw till he entered my shooting lane, then tried to get him to stop – but he wouldn’t have anything to do with my grunt. He then circled around the cover and proceeded back the way he came. Near as I can tell, this 8 pointer is the dominant buck and was likely chasing all the deer my way this morning.

Tonight I sat on a ridge, overlooking the root river. Saw one yearling buck and a real nice doe. Then as I was leaving stand, two bucks started going at it in the corn field. The fight lasted about 1-2 minutes, a snort, a wheeze and one of them taking off through the corn.

Hopefully, we’ll continue to have good action.

Hunted AM till about 10:00 - that when the rain started. A doe and two fawns were bumped off their bed and came running by at high speed. Then from behind me came a long tine 5/6 pointer. He was interested in the doe, but she was not interested in him. This activity was from 8:00-8:30.

Hunted around Cannon Falls in the afternoon, woods was very quiet, except for those who were sighting in their deer rifles and shotguns. Didn't see anyting while on stand from 3:15 till dark.

I'm on vacation this week all week. smile.gif

I'll try to post an activity report each day.

Where near canon falls, the reason I ask is because you stated the noise from people sighting in guns, the property I hunt has a large rock quarry on in and people shoot there alot, tonight about a hundred rounds were shot, wondering if you are near to me? Oh yeah, no deer on stand, just a few in the corn when I exited the woods.

Yeah tell me about it. If you indeed know where I am talking about, I'll have you know that one of my favorite spots is right near the quarry, creates a natural funnel. My last two bucks have come from right around it. I need to hit that spot on the weekdays though. It's a huge pit, but it seems people like to drive all the way through the pit and shoot right along the woods when they can simply set up right where you drive down. Kinda annoying but that's the way it is and I have other spots at least.

Joel...

I was on the hiway...52. I didn't know you huntes so close to it. lol

Not to worry my man! Just reporting hiway slaughter. I haven't a clue as to where the quarry is. They can shoot there legally? Here in Olmsted county if you pull a shot in a quarry you'd have every agency down on you led by George Jr with a gattling gun.

I hunt in SEMN, I know of 3 nice bucks that came running into rattling antlers on Sunday alone, the crappy weather really brought them out of the woodwork. The rut is really getting hot so if you can get out in the woods this week before the gunners invade, I'd do so.

MONDAY

Cannon Falls area - not much action. Really slow in fact. Only had one small buck respond the antlers in the morning.

TUESDAY

Hunting SE again, this is SE of Rochester.

Morning Hunt - sat in valley, amlost no wind this morning and quite cool, truck read 27 deg when I got to the farm this morning. Didn't see a single deer in the area I was hunting. Wind picked up a bit later in the morning. Did see two doe that were kicked off their beds about 10:30 or so. Stayed on stand till 11:30.

Afternoon - got back on stand about 12:30 in a different location. Started seeing deer about 4:00, then constant action till sunset. Had to scare deer away from stand, then when I climbed down another was still there about 20-30 yards from the stand. Bucks were chasing does all night. Area where I was hunting was on a ridge, corn still standing. Deer came from both the corn and the woods / ravine.

Last night kicked two yearlings off their bed right by ny stand, the went about 20 yards and proceeded to try to figure out what I was for the next 15 minutes. After they walked off, crawled in the stand and imeditiately saw a large bodied but small racked 8 walk about 50 yards out. 10 minutes later he came back this time about 10 yards out. Not quite what I'm looking for yet. But they are on the prowl.

Tom:

No prob!! I was just kidding. Seeing CF in the posts is a new one for me.....we go rather unnoticed for the most part.

And really, we hunt only 500 yards on the back side of a hill from the hiway!

We should hook up sometime. Send me an email and you should stop by if you're ever driving thru!

Stratos - Yeah, number of quarries around, but I'm pretty sure I know where you're talking. There's a large party that runs near that landowners land.....notorious for woundings!!! I figure I have a few days until the area is completely disturbed. Good luck!

Joel

There were a lot of deer moving this morning before first light. Several close calls while driving to location.

Hunted early morning near creek bottom. Bumped three deer on my way in frown.gif not what I wanted. At 9:00 I relocated to another location where I new they would be picking 40 acres of corn today. At 10:00 I climbed on stand, they had not started to pick yet. At 10:10 I had a nice eight pointer, 130 class I'm guessing, come walking along the corn. Just before he would enter my first shooting lane, he angled into the corn and towards the next wooded point. I tried grunting at him, he stopped twice, but continued on. Once the corn picking started, not much happened. It was extremely winding today. Tomorrow is supposed to be calmer all day - hopefully the deer will be moving more.