• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Engine Break in Period

grizzald

About two months ago I bought a 2005 Polaris Sportsman H.O. Just wondering what all you guys think is the best way to break in a new machine. My dealer told me no heavy pulling and not too heavy of a thumb for the first one hundread miles or so. Also, he said oil should be changed at 20 hours on break in period, then every 50 hours after that. All of this seems reasonable to me, any input would be appreciated.

20 hours on a break in oil change is actually pretty high, IMO. Oil's cheap compared to the vehicle cost. I'd change the break in oil and filter after 100 miles. With occasional use for hunting and ice fishing, change the oil at least once per year; more if you're riding a lot or if you're pulling heavy loads frequently.

Also, vary throttle speed during break in. Don't be afraid to open 'ir up once in awhile but don't keep it pegged wide open for a long time.