• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tower stand

chucker34

Hello. I plan to build a tower stand on my own property next year that can be used for bowhunting and gun hunting.

I'll still use the other tree stands I've hung but I'd also like something roomier than the tree stands and it would be nice to take my son out hunting in a few years. Does anyone have pics of homemade towerstands that they built that they could share so I could get some ideas?

I plan to use these heavy duty steel brackets I bought called Elevators to attach 4x4 posts to the 2X6 floor frame I'll build. The floor will be 4 foot by 4 foot. I'll cross brace the legs with 1X6s and tie the whole thing down for extra stability. For walls up top, I'll probably keep them to about 3 to 3 1/2 feet high so I can draw my bow over them easily. I'll uses treated lumber and plywood and the right hardware for treated wood. What do you think of this plan?

I bought the same brackets and basically have the same plan. I will be building it next weeekend for the upcoming gun season, I'll try and take some pictures. I think 4x4 platform may be to small for 2 people. I am thinking more like 4x8. Did you get the video with the elevators? I thought they had some good ideas. I like the idea of putting my double bull blind on top it for added concealment and protection from the elements, but then it need to be at least 6x6.

Thanks Tom. I plan to use heavy duty hardware and the 2 x 4s seem like they would make it sturdier.

And thanks Zarkhol, I did get the DVD they sent with. Did you get yours from sportsmansguide ($53 for 4)? That's where I did but also notice they sell them at Cabelas. Anyway, yeah, maybe I should bump up the size a little, even to 4 x 6. The DVD I had was short but did have some good ideas. I'm waiting til next year as I'll make this a winter project in the garage (the frame and prep work at least) before assembling it in the spring to let deer get used to it in the woods. It probably wouldn't even hurt to put it out there yet this year but I'm bowhunting right now and with other committments don't have a lot of freetime.

I put sides on a couple of my ladder stands and for bow hunting it does make it tougher to shoot anything close on those sides.

A bigger footprint, like 6x6 or 8x8 might make it more stable. I built one 4'x4'x16' tall using 4"x4" for the legs, its kind of wobbly, I'm debating whether I should cut it off or cable tie it down...

Good luck.

I bought mine elevetors at Cabela's a couple of years ago. I thinlk I paid a few $$$ more that you did. I just haven't gotten around to building a new stand yet, as my old one was still in good shape. Now that my son is 11, I think it is time for a bigger one. I am going to go 14' on the 4x4's, a 4x8 platform and 2x4's for the cross bracing. This should give us enough higheth, sturdiness and room for a small heater in needed. These are also a pretty universal dimension. (i.e., 4 x8 ) meaning less cutting involved & easier to transport in back of my pickup. If you do a Google search under "deer stands" you can find some pretty good ideas. As I recall, there is a place near Detroit Lakes that sells wooden tower blinds. I got some plans from a web site, (I don't remember where)that I am going to follow. Good Luck.

Zarkohl, just thought I'd mention that I likely your 'blind' idea so much that I think I will go with that. I bought a 5x5 Doghouse that could sit tied down on top of a 5x5 platform. I'd build a low railing all the way around with 2x4s for some added safety. I think having the windows fully zipped down would work if you were up 12-14 feet but I like leaving just the mesh portholes open if you're on the ground. Anyway, good luck this season.