• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suspension adjusting

kupman

Hello, I want to stiffen up the suspension on my '05 Polaris 500. Is there a trick to doing this without a spanner wrench or spring compressor? I have most other tools except the two mentioned. Thanks, Dave

No spring compressor needed. You can use a large channel lock pliers but risk the chance of squishing the adjuster if you squeeze too hard. No spanner wrench in your tool kit that came with the machine? Even using that spanner wrench you'll have to add on something to extend the handle to gain leverage.

WARNING!!! If you decide to use a channel lock pliers.. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Even on a new ATV the adjusters can be very sticky. They can and do break resulting in a time consuming and possibly costly repair. Please, if at all possible, locate the correct spanner.

Of the two people I know that have used a channel lock pliers, BOTH needed to replace at least one preload adjuster.

I learned my lesson using a channel locks it called bloody knuckles. I picked up a shock spanner wrench the next day at Dennis Kirk for 13.95. They will ship it to you next day for a total cost of I think 21.24 and you will egt it the next day if you live in MN. 1-800-328-8280 PART # 28-512

And tell them you want one of there free atv catalogs they are awesome. Everything you will ever want for accessories.