• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duluth hawk watching

icehousebob

Hi, I've recently had a couple happenings in my life that made me re-evaluate my priorities. From now on, my bride of 34 years will come before work. One of the things we've talked of doing together is to go to the lake side raptor park by Duluth when the hawks and eagles migrate in the fall. Have any of you done that? Any suggestions on when to go, what to bring, and where to stay? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would imagine you better get up here now. Get a room for you and your wife in Canal Park, she'll love the shopping, site seeing and restaurants there. What to bring, I guess binoculars and a camera with zoom would be a must along with a chair and field guide. If you visit the DNR site you can get a map of the fall color tour and go for a drive up the North Shore. Take a drive along Skyline Parkway and a trip up to Inger Tower. A tour of Glenshein Manson would be a big hit too.

Enjoy your trip.

I would like to thank you gentlemen for your input. We've always talked about the things we'd like to do when we had time. Last year, she had a stroke, and while spending several hours holding her hand and not knowing how it would turn out, I got a whole new outlook on my priorities. Watching the hawks and eagles or driving around looking at the fall leaves is now more important than work. I have six weeks of vacation on the books and its time to start using it. Thanks guys.

Bob, take a week or two of that vacation and come to the North Shore. You'll never regret it. There are no more beautiful places in Minnesota. You can do the downtown Duluth thing and Canal Park if you want that, and you can drive the ridge and look for hawks, marvel at the view over the lake, and head up the shore for long drives. When doing the shore, make sure you stop at several places that look inviting to simply sit and enjoy the view and the smell of the air. Skips rocks on the water, and if you're here when a nor'easter is smashing 12-foot waves into the shoreline rocks, then you've got something powerful and special.

These are things that can't really be done well from a speeding car, as you no doubt know, and you'll have a wonderful time.

Sheesh, sounds like I'm on the payroll of the Duluth/Superior Convention and Visitors Bureau, but I really mean it.

Have fun.

If the color isn't prime yet along the shore, head inland toward Isabella on Hwy. 1. When you get up over the hill, the color will be more advanced than it is along the shore (the lake keeps the cold weather a little milder in winter and the hot weather a little cooler in summer, and that impacts fall color.) That run toward Isabella if full of maples, and if your timing is lucky, it's special.

If your spouse is in walking shape, stop at the breakwall in Agate Bay at Two Harbors and walk out to the end (a quarter mile or more). It's a great view and, if you're lucky, an ore boat may be docking or casting off.

Split Rock Lighthouse is another great experience and phenominal view. Now, the lighthouse and the Two Harbors thing are totally touristy, but valuable nonetheless. So is Gooseberry Falls State park, another sweet experience.

There are other nice spots to pull off that don't require admission and have no crowds, so you'll have your pick of the type of experience you want. Partly, that depends on how mobile you and the Mrs. are. But the Stewart River just past Two Harbors and the Split Rock River pulloff and parking area (before you get to the lighthouse and state park) are two such areas that are more lightly touched than the parks.

According todays Duluth newspaper there are still plenty of hawks gliding by Hawks Ridge. Sam Cooke reported that they counted 10,000 a couple of days ago. Over the years I've been up there many times and I'll tell you that unless you are really into birds it's not something that will take up an entire day. Make sure you bring some powerful binoculars as most of the birds will be cruising quite aways out from the ridge. One cool thing about the hawk thing is that it attracts some very interesting people and there is plenty of time to shoot the bull if the birds aren't flying.