• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling rods for planner boards

rmh2o

Question

Im looking at buying some rods to do some trolling with boards for walleyes.Also going to buy another line counter reel.Any opinions on rods or reels? Thanks

9 answers to this question

Diawa Sealine counter real in the 17 or 27 size. Go with the best 1st and you wont be back at the store in a year.
As far as rods it depends a lot on length etc. you prefer. I really like my Rapala board rods. Good price and nice action.

I advise looking into interflow rods. They are not very popular but I tried the cabelas depthmaster. It is really nice not dealing with a lot of guides on long rods and the line just slides right over the blank, no tangles. Also, I just use clip on counters because I use the same reels, ABU 5600s and 6600s, for muskies, bass or whatever with just swapping line. Just a thought if you wanted to keep cost down a bit.

I got all my stuff from Russ at Marine General in Duluth. Check their web paje. Go with a glass or a little graphite. Lots of tork in cold conditions can be tough on too much graphite.
I also have some Heartland downrigger rods and Im real happy with them.I use a Diawa Sealine SG47LCA on my Heartland HL-D962HS-G Downrigger rod. Its 9'6" in length and a 2 piece with guides. I dont see many guideless rods on Lake Superior but I think they would be ok until it got real cold then I would be concerned with internal freeze up. Anyone have any input on freeze up on those guideless rods?

I sent them out monday to the address that you sent them from I also emailed you a couple of times did you recieve them?Give me a call if you get a chance.Thanks

rmh2o, that e-mail you sent them to is no longer in operation. If you happen to have a copy of the sent e-mails, could you re-send them to bigones_919@hotmail. Also your phone # was lost in the shuffle. I'm tentativly looking at a june 12-18 trip to Erie, or close to it. Thanks, Mark

I agree with you on the sealine I have a 27 now and will probably pick up another one.As far as rods I am thinking 8 1/2 foot but should I look for fiberglass or graphite? giudes or guidless? 2 piece or telescoping?How much are the rapala rods and where did you get them?I see cabelas sells combos if you buy a reel you can get a rod for $20 more.Has anyone tried them?Thanks