• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV recommendations?

fisher_king2004

I'm exploring the purchase of an ATV and would like some feedback from experienced owners. I plan on using it for hunting in the fall but really want to use it for pulling my portable fish house around in the winter. I can't afford both an ATV and a snowmobile so I'm trying to compromise.

Does any one machine run better in cold weather? What should I expect for reliability by make and model? Are there any features/options that are recommended?

Thanks for the help.

Well, I have a feeling your going to get a mixed bag of suggestions here.

I can however give you my experiences. I bought a new Polaris Sportsman 500HO in 2002. I'm not a big trail rider or mudder. I use mine mainly for hauling stuff around the yard, working up my foodplots, leveling the driveway, pushing snow, and of course cruising the lake in the winter. I don't abuse it, and I don't rod it. I run a regular "preventive" maintenance program on it. It has yet to give me a lick of serious trouble. I have to say I've been really pleased with it. In all honesty, its been one of the best purchases I've ever made. There is hardly a day that I don't use it in one way or another. As for cold starting, my 500 has been really good. Like I mentioned before, I run it almost daily. In the dead of winter I've yet to have it not start for me. She cranks right up.

JEV

Go and test drive them, see what you like. They all will have problems at some point. They all have +'s and -'s. The quality is getting better on all of them for the most part.

Some features to keep in mind: Weight, ground clearance, brakes(drums or discs), locking differentials vs. limited slip, fuel injection, independant suspension and warranty. A lot of dealers will try to sell you on the brand they carry, so plan on shopping around.

I am Polaris too the bone so I won't preach. I do know that a friend of mine had a Honda Rubicon that got drug off of the lake everytime it dropped below 0. He now has a Grizzly as do others I ride with and they are impressive. I have seen many belt problems on the big new Polaris's and Kawasaki's. The new Cat's don't seem to bad but maybe a little high in price. I know nothing about Suzuki but I am curious. I have a 500 Sportsman and have not had any trouble in almost a thousand miles. This is just what I have seen with the machines I ride with. I also lean towards the Minnesota companies. Good Luck!!