• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arrow opinions

Stratosman

I am thinking of making the switch from alum. to carbon arrows. I have had excellent results from my alums. in the past, however, Instead of buying more alums, I might change out for carbons. My question is for carbon shooters, what are your preferences as far as brands, vanes, ect. I shoot a Hoyt Havoctech and my broadheads are Muzzy 3-blade 90 grain (which I love and would rather not switch from). I have done some research but would like some opinions from shooters that aren't selling just a particular brand or pushing one over the other if you know what I mean.

Thanks, I know it's geting a little late in the season for making a switch, but I am confident enough in my capabilities to be ready for opener.

Trophy Taker drop away rest. I do use a release and plan to continue. Current arrow speed is around 270. My Hoyt is fairly forgiving and I was even questioning myself whether or not to switch from my aluminums. I havn't missed a deer in years and my last 5 have been complete pass-throughs. Just looking for opininions, I know it has been debated on here in the past and it seems 90% shoot carbons, must be a legitimate reason?

Ok! Forgiving bow and drop away rest, you will want to go with vanes (I would go with a small degree helical). As far as choice for shaft, I personally like to go with speed rather than weight for penetration (to decrease error in yardage estimates). I would go with as light of a shaft as possible. When you check the arrows out, it should tell you how many gr./inch right on the box. Pretty much all the brands are good, I have my favorite but will not advertise it here to avoid the brand debate. You will really like switching to carbon. Much more durable and you never have to worry about slight bends. The only way I have ever lost a cabon arrow is by missing the deer and not being able to recover the arrow (I can't believe I just admitted to missing). They are a little more expensive but they will pay for themselves over time when comparing them to aluminum! Good luck!

There are ton's of different kinds of carbons out there. I have a similar speed bow and I use Carbon Express arrows. I have used Beman's and PSE arrows in the past and the Carbon Express's shoot way, way better. I think the arrows I use are called Predators....but I could be wrong. I got them off of hsolist for $40/doz. BTW making the switch from alum to carbon is not that big of deal. Usually they shoot a little higher and a little faster. Good luck

Looked at the Easton Axis, best of both worlds, alot lighter than my 2413's but still not as light as full carbons, still mantaining some of the kinetic energy advantages that I had with full alums but gaining in arrow speed, will have to shoot through the chronograph to see what I will gain. Not sure if the Muzzy's will work, might need to go to a smaller style broadhead which bums me out since I love the Muzzy's, but we'll see.

The switch won't be much of an issue at all, especially regarding the time it takes to "tune" the bow if you have to do it at all. Really, all it should be is a matter of moving the sights a little bit and possibly some rest adjustments if the weight/speed is a drammatic difference. Otherwise you should be able to screw on your Muzzy 90's and hammer away. Enjoy!

I have been shooting ACC for hunting for quite some time. They are both alum and carbon.. However this year I made the switch to all carbon.. I went with the Maxums. Reason... the tollerances of the maxxums were better than the axis.. Straghter and less variance in weight. Just my .02