• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Setterguy, question on trials??

Benny

Setterguy, I wanted to know what titles can I still get for Mandy?She will be 24 months this november 20th, I am looking for more of the hunter certs than the AKC's.

I was going to take her to the Game Fair and try for the Puppy cert. , but I didn't realize the Puppies were ran today.

Benny

Labs may have more information for you...I'm not very knowledgable in the retriever or NAVHDA trials. In our trials its either Champion, or RU Champion, thats it. You need to win or place second in a Regional Championship to obtain those titles. Sorrry, I wish I had more information for you.

Benny: Do you have a Pointer or a Lab? If you have a pointer then the Field Trials & Hunt Test Trials would not be an option for your pup. The NAVHDA Trials would be where you would have to go to put a title on your dog.

GOOD LUCK!!!

For pointers - field trials, hunt tests & NAVHDA

For retrievers - field trials, hunt tests (maybe more)

For spaniels - field trials, hunt tests (maybe more)

If you count tournament hunting then there's that for all 3 breeds as well.

Benny,

You will probably looking to run your dog in hunt tests. There are currently tests run through the AKC, UKC and NAHRA. The AKC and UKC currently are the two easiest ones to find in the upper mid-west. I'm only versed in AKC and NAHRA as the UKC hadn't made a "splash" in the midwest until recently. Your dog sounds like she should be ready to run Jr. hunter (AKC) or I believe started retriever in the UKC and also NAHRA. These are single marked retrieves usually 50-70 yards long. The dog does not have to be steady (lightly restrained by lead at the line) but must possess decent line manners. The bird has to be delivered to hand.

From there you go to Senior Hunter in AKC, Intermediate in NAHRA and I think Seasoned retriever in UKC. Land double, water double, upland hunt, water blind, honoring etc. are things your dog will be judged on. Then onto Master Hunter, land / water triples, multiple blinds, honoring, upland hunt etc etc etc. ANything you think a "finished" dog should be able to handle.

The AKC or UKC HSOforum would be a good place to read up on the rules of the tests and look at the upcoming schedule for tests in the area. It is a good way to spend a weekend, especially with your kids, and I think wives get a bigger kick out of it than the husbands.

Good Luck!

Ken

Hi Ken, I believe your right about her.She does great on singles, will follow a good line to the bird and I have not had her drop a bird before she gets to me for a while now.

She can do doubles here in the yard because it is a small area and she can usualy see the dummy or smell it right away.

Now if they are 50 to 75 yards away or apart she might not remember the second one.I still need to work on her marking as well, but I want to get her steady shot first.

As for the trials, I am only looking to get her some sort of Puppy certification before she is to old for that catigory.

I talked to the people in the dog club tent at the GF and the lady from the NFHA said there is a club outing and trials at the Kelly farm next month.

Does just one time at the puppy level get a title or does she need to complete more than one trial to get a puppy title?

I looked in the sites for the AKC and the NAHRA , but they are not to clear as to the amount of wins or times a dog must complete a trial before gaining the titles.

Duckbuster, Mandy is a retrieving lab so far, she has shown a few traites as knowing how to point but I can't honestly say she has pointed any thing.

I have seen her stop with the one paw up, tail strait up and locked on for maybe a couple of seconds.But I can't tell if that is natural lab traits or pointing lab.

Thanks,Benny

Benny, there is no "puppy title" per say... Field trial clubs will run a puppy class at thier informal or picnic trials to expose young dogs to everything about a trial. If a certificate is given, it would be from the club and not recorded as a title with the AKC or shown on official pedigrees. They usually do award ribbons for dogs completing the "tests" given that day. I think Mandy may be beyond the puppy level. Those are generally 30-40 yard retrieves thrown one at at time while you hold the pup. There are also derby trials for dogs younger than 24 months. You do not recieve a title for running or winning derbies, but rather you gain points. Mandy would have to be steady on the line, deliver to hand and be ready to run some fairly heavy duty marks before entering these. Keep in mind a lot of dogs running derbies have been with pros and groomed to be "trial" dogs.

I think Jr Hunter is still your path to follow. There is no age limit and she wouldn't have to be steady on the line, because you can lightly restrain her with a lead. If I remember right you need four passes to achieve your JH title. If you can still find clubs running NAHRA in the mid-west, you only need two passes for a Started Hunter title (do-able in a weekend) and I'm not sure what you need for a UKC title.

Good Luck if you run any of these.... let us know how Mandy does. They become addicting the more you run them...

Good Luck!

Ken

Benny: LABS is on the money here. If you can get to an informal/picinic trial at one of the local retriever clubs that would be a great way to expose her to these types of events.

The puppy stake is for dogs under the age of 12 months.

There is also a stake called the Hunters. This is generally somewhere between the Puppy stake and the Derby. You might have some real long single marks, or a delayed double. You might even get a pure double late in the day if the dogs that are still running show they are capable and the judges need some seperation from the top dogs.

I can try and track down an informal schedule for the remainder of the year for you.

GOOD LUCK!!