• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL18 updates ???

fiskyknut

Question

Fished with a Bud today that has an FL18. He was picking up interferance bad from my Zercom and his IR did not seem to knock it down as I have seen other FL18's do. I kinda figured he maybe has a pre update serial #'d unit. I've seen this discussed here on occasion, so could someone give me the skinny on these updates and the serial #'s involved.

Thanks....fiskyknut

7 answers to this question

Directly off of the Vexilar Help page:
What's this I hear about an FL-18 Update or Recall?

There is no recall, but there may be an update available if you have an older FL-18. If the FL-18's serial number is less than 192501, and there is no "V2" or "Version 2" marking on the back of it, we have newer software code available. You are welcome to send the unit into our service department at any time to get the free update.

Send it to:

Vexilar, Inc. Attn. FL-18 UPDATE
6667 W Old Shakopee Road
Suite #101
Minneapolis, MN 55438

The update improves the Auto Zoom feature. The initial version of the FL-18 software has a situational problem with bottom content and/or targets in the area. Under certain conditions, the bottom reading on the zoom will jump up some distance. Everything will still work, except the "zoom zone" becomes smaller. The unit may correct itself or you may need to turn it off and then on again to reset it. This is a phenomenon specific to certain soft/hard layered bottoms or very weedy or very rocky conditions. The AZ may act up in one spot, but work perfectly in another. This update simply improves performance. It is not required.

When you send the unit in, please include a short note inside the box including your name, return address, and telephone or email. You will only need to send the main "head" portion of the system. Service time will be 1 to 2 days.

So this update had nothing to do with the IR on these units then eh? I have fished closer to others with these same 2 units and they were able to rid themselves of most of the interferance. Guy yesterday could'nt get it cleaned up very well, maybe his just has some kinda glitch in his IR? Any ideas?

Thanks for the info Grabs.

fiskyknut

Different bottom types and depths will make a difference so comparing two different outings isn't reliable. Were there any other flashers in the area besides yours?
Was he using any of the super-braids? I've seen them give off interference. Don't know why, could be they hold air or their shape reflects the signal.

Did the interference go away when you shut your flasher off?

Could there have been some type of bloom going on or a current?

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-13-2004).]

No one nearer than a 1/2 mile. Flat sand bottom. No bloom or current. No interferance at all when mine was shut down. No braids.

I kinda figured maybe there was possibly a rock that was bouncing my signal his way, or that it was something to do with that update stuff. I finally dropped my gain waaay lower than what I like and rotated my transducer and he was able to see his jig ect. but still had alot of noise going round and round.

Fisky

28fow measured from the bottom of the ice. My hut/holes were aprox 30 feet from his. He was'nt on LP mode. Funny 'cause I've fished in the same hut with these units operating within 10 foot of one another, and over simular depths and bottom compositions and these other 18's could get rid of the majority of interferance. Perhaps he should send this one into Vex and have them peek at it after ice season.

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 02-13-2004).]