• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

96 sportsman 500-won't start

shamalex72

I was riding it yesterday, cruising about half throttle, then it just died. Pulled it home, let it sit 30 minutes and it fired right up. I drove around the yard for few minutes and it ran fine. I go to start it today and no go. It seems like there is no spark. I changed the plug but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Does it seem like no spark or did you check and it has no spark? Does it spit and sputter when dieing or just quit instantly? Sounds more like a fuel problem.

Take it in to a dealer and have them test the ECM unit. I bought my wife a 2005 Sportsman 500 just before the fourth of July and with 110 miles on it, it acts just like your problem. Runs for 10 minutes and quits. Wait 1/2 an hour and it starts and runs again. Took it to the dealer and had them test the ECM unit and found out it was bad.They have eight other machines besides mine waiting for a new ECM unit. My machine's serial number was not listed in either of the recalls. They said 2-3 weeks they should have parts.

I had a guy take a look at it and he ran some tests with a volt meter. He said that the stator is bad, but he was going check and see if he could just change the pick up coil(I think thats what he called it)