• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Finders?

WALLEYENUTZ

Question

13 answers to this question

basically, the more power you have the better you can "pick" apart the bottom content and it also determines the max depth you can read the bottom clearly. the more power - the deeper you can mark fish and structure - most lakes around hear are shallow enough for any finder.

Not necessarily. Your receiver has a lot to do with along with a lot of other factors. Theres sounders out there that are 30 years old with 3000 watts and the separation isn't as good. Its combining that power with new technology that gives you that finer separation.
Generally more watts = more penetration.

while we hv this subject. i have a question on locators...im looking at buying 1 of the new units,the lowarance lcx18c or the 19 c, cant decide yet, but both unit u can order with dual frequency 50/200 khz.. any1 know the benifits for having the dual freq?

The 200 kHz transducer will have a tighter cone with much higher definition and your best choice in water under 500 ft.
The 50 kHz will penetrate deep water better, has a wider cone but not very good definition. You would use the kHz more for searching for targets then switch to the kHz for a refined look.
Considering the depths were talking here you wouldn't really need the dual frequency transducer.

yea i know,id always wonder how much better the 19 would be if i didnt buy it..tired of the low end stuff thats not much more than a digital depth finder. they do ok for that but seeing fish and marking the spot this unit im sure ill be happy i bought it,,air conditioning and all....

How much do you fish?? Do you do tournaments?? Unless you are on the water 60+ days I would honestly steer you towards the lcx-15, half the money and all the bells and whistles. I have used this one and am very pleased with it. I would like to have a 19 someday, have to win a big tournament for that though.

no tourneys but fish more than just a passtime, that lcx15 is basically the same unit in w/o color , ya i like that unit too,, figured when the color units came out the better deals would be units like the 15,,thats a good option too,but i do like the detail on that color unit.