• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lewis and Clark

First time fishing Lewis and Clark lake. Is it worth fishing? I thought I remember seeing a Tony Dean show fishing small mouths on the lake. Anyone have any pointers or hints on what to fish for, where and how? I know this is asking a lot but I am completely clueless on where to start. We are staying right in Yankton.

I havent fished this lake for a few years now, but I think all the bass, are in Lake Yankton, which is located right below the dam adjacent to the river, last I knew it was trolling motors only. Its awesome for bass fishing and is full of all kinds of other fish. The point where this lake drains into the river can be good fishing as well.

As for the river/lake, you can find fish above and below the dam, you will find all kinds fish, walleye, catfish, carp, etc.

Below the dam, you will see huge paddlefish which are pretty cool to see.

As for where to go, I am sorry I wouldnt know, hopefully someone else can help you out better than me.

Good luck, and post results if you get out.

I almost forgot, you could also check out the Gavins Point fish hatchery and aquarium.

You will see some pretty rare fish upclose, and some fish you dont normally see. Paddlefish, sturgeon, gar, catfish etc. Last time I was there, the aquarium had a huge snapping turtle, and a huge catfish, not sure if there are still there. If anything I think it only cost $.025(a quarter) or free.

Here is a link: Fish Hatchery

I'm originally from the area, and I've fished the lake a lot. First of all, forget about fishing during the day if you can help it. The lower half of the lake will be filled with sailboats, PWC, pleasure boaters, water skiers, etc until supper time. If you are looking to catch sunfish and maybe some largemouth bass, you can try Lake Yankton below the dam. The smallmouth are all in Lewis & Clark Lake. Tried and true methods are pulling cranks along the face of the dam, and trolling or pitching lures near the riprap or rocky shorelines near the campgrounds on the South Dakota side of the lake. It doesn't hurt to inspect the Nebraska side either. You will have plenty of company, as the lake is fished very heavily, but it does have good sized fish if you can locate them.

I believe the hot crank on the lake this year is a brownish jointed rapala.

Didn't even get a chance to fish Lewis n Clark. We were out there on Saturday and the lake was extremely rough. I was surprised at how little wind was needed to really stir things up. We ended up just pulling the kids around on Saturday during the day on NE side as it was a little bit calmer.

Saturday night we hit Lake Yankton and managed 8 nice bass - 12"-16" all C&R'd.

Sunday we hit Marindal and got skunked. There was a heavy algae bloom occuring. Same thing with the wind though. The long narrow lakes really seem to accentuate the wind affect.

Overall however, it was a great weekend. The GF&P opened up the dam to fireworks on Sunday night. It was a complete war zone. For a good 2 solid hours it was a constant barrage of fireworks up and down the dam. The kids had a blast!