• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Michigan

Hey guys,

I live in Texas but have been to Lake Michigan several times while in town for Cub's games. I have always wondered what the fishing was like in the area near Chicago. I'd actually like to drag my boat along sometime and do some fishin for walleyes and smallies if they are in the area.

Can anyone offer up some advice?

Thanks!

Mitch

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Anybody have some help here with respect to the Chicago area?

Not too much near Chicago for Smallies or Walleye that would make it worth dragging a boat to for a short trip. You could fish up on the Chain of Lakes in Antioch, IL (user fee required to launch and boat on the chain)about a 1 1/4 hr N of Chicago.

Seems like Shabbona might be the best bet - lots of LMB, decent walleye, musky, cats, gills, and crappie. Very good overall lake about 1 1/4 hrs west of Chicago - BUT 10HP motor limit.

There is some great smallmouth fishing on the south shore of lake michigan ..I have caught many 4+ lb smallies there ...There may be a little walleye action on the michigan side near the st. joe river but none near chicago

I'll second the southern shores of Lake Michigan for smallies. There are some absolute pigs out there. As far as walleyes go, Heidecke Lake has been putting out some good fish this year as well as numbers. Mornings and/or evenings are your best bet with a little wind needed to get the fish active.

Better yet, leave the boat at home, use the money you save in gas to buy a pair of waders and fish some of the many rivers we got here for smallies. The Kankakee, Fox, and Dupage all have quality smallie fishing. One day in early June I caught 30 smallies in the Dupage in an hour and a half! The biggest went just over 3lbs.