• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater spearguning for carp?

I was woundering if it is leagal to use a speargun to shoot carp underwater. I like to snorkel and I often run into huge carp and I think it would be fun to shoot them that way. What do you guys think!

Here's what I found in the DNR regulations about that subject:

Harpoons(spears) must have a tethered line not more than 20 feet long, may be discharged ONLY when the operator and the equipment are entirely under the surface of the water, and may not be used within 1,000 feet of a swimming beach.

RB

natcho

this is from the fishing regulations, page 66

harpoons(spears) must have a tethered line not more then 20 feet long,may be discharged only when the equipment and the operator are entirely under the surface of the water,and may not be used within 1,000 feet of a swimming beach.

i hope this helps

good luck!

you may be able to legally, however, given how skittish carp are, if you see them, the will see you and I wonder how reliable you would be able to target them.

I actually do this. It is so much fun, it is like a combination of hunting and fishing. i got my spear gun from a HSOforum named www dot diveus dot com it ran me aboot $65 but in my opinion is toptally worth it, you can only legally shoot roughfish in minnesota with it however. Man do the Dogfish put up a fight when you shoot them. i had a buddy being pulled backwards by one after he shot it, it was quite amusing to watch.

I have done quite a bit of this. I have a two band speargun with plenty of power for carp. They do tend to be a little spookier than some other fish, but if you can snorkle out to the weedline and do some dives while swimming along with the schools of fish you can pick out some dandies! What a blast. I learned to spearfish this way when I lived in Hawaii. Glad I brought the speargun back to MN when we left.

By the way I used to do this in Lake Harriet. Good clear water in late May and some big carp in there. I also used to pick up quite a few lures stuck to uderwater debris.