• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How about this scenario???????

bmc

I was out on a local lake tonight. I think the crappies are pre-spawn on this lake. The bass and sunnies are just starting to move into the shallows. It's gin clear and very deep with steep drop offs on most of the shoreline. I graphed schools of suspended fish off of the weedline in 20-50 feet of water. This spot leads up to a very weedy bottom area about 50-75 yards from shore to the drop off/weedline and this shallow area is about 9 feet deep and gradually gets shallower as it gets to shore. They were suspended from about 10-20 feet down. My graph was showing all sizes of fish from small to large. I ended up catching only 1 12" crappie on a small crappie minnow, ice buster bobber, and a 2 tone green marmooska jig. Believe me, I threw everything else at them, bare hook w/ 1 split shot a foot all the way to 3 feet up the line. My old stand by 1/32 oz chenille/marabou jigs with and with out bait. I just couldn't get them to eat. Any suggestions for this type of lake? I figured with them in the pre-spawn stage, they'd be eager to eat. Perhaps this screwy weather has them in a funk? Last time I checked dynamite wasn't legal! LOL laugh.gif

Brian

This lake may be best approached well after dark or on days when the cloud cover and breeze help to diffuse the light. The weedline during the twilight periods could get to be hot.

You did not mention having tried plastics....naughty, naughty! Hang a 1/16 ounce jig on the line and dress it with a 2" twister, a scented product like Exude really helps here, drop it down to just over the fish and drift over the school jigging ever so slightly. A scented minnow shaped plastic will work too. By making repeated passes over the fish you can gradually drop the jig to fish lower and lower in the water column.

Go easy on color if this water is that clear. A smoke sparkle during the day and black as the shadows fall might be your best options. If it is stormy or the wind has the water's surface roiled up, go to the chartreuse sparkle.

It has been my experience that on suspended fish, such as these, the first ones to begin showing feeding activity will be the ones lowest in the water column. Chances are they will be the largest too.

Another thing you may want to consider is that this clear water will allows shadows to cast. Try to keep the sun in your face as you fish into the scholl. That way you boat's shadow will always be thrown on water you have already fished.

Thanks Tom,

I guess I'll have to explore the world of crappie plastics a bit more. To be completely honest, there's seldom a time when I don't do well on my 1/32oz chenille marabou jigs. When I was younger my dad was a big Mr. Twister fan and they caught fish, but not like the marabou jig. I'll have to buy some crappie sized Gulp or Exude products and give them a try. Your wealth of knowledge on everything panfish is very impressive!!!

Thanks!!!

Brian

BMC....The naughty,naughty was in jest.

If the maribou is fished with confidence, then by all means lean on it. Same with hair. And I guess if it were me and the jig needed some meat, I'd go to a waxie. But before I went to anything with bait, I'd be dropping some plastic. For a reason.

If you look at some of the plastics today, they offer far more than just color and some action. They also offer a "consistant" profile, as found in say, the Stub Grub and the Cuprit Paddletails. The Rat Grub is another that stays within the limits of its intended profile. All of these offer action, but specific action. Now you can take this a step further.

By hanging a scented bait on that hook, like the Exude Micro Shad, you can cover the profile issue and actully deliver smell as well. And don't forget taste when they grab onto that critter.

I don't want to try and talk anyone away from something they fish with confidence. I would, though, urge persons to at least look behind the door where where plastics are found and consider what they might be passing up. Not doing so is a huge limiting factor.

LOL, I got the jest part Tom! laugh.gif I'll have to hit L and M and stock up on a few scented plastics and see what happens. I was even thinking of giving my proven winter method of a micro lead jig with a eurolarve or waxie a shot. The crappies in this lake are piggies, lots of 10+ inch fish with a few in the 15" range. I figured these sized crappies would be minnow eaters, but the way they were suspending closer to the top as it got darker got me thinking they must be eating some type of bug in the water? Of course I'm on nights now the next week, but get off at 4 am and may head out then and see if they're in a more cooperative mood.

Thanks Again,

Brian

bmc Each lake is different. Some lakes they feed on minnows, others they feed on bugs. Whatever food source is there follow it. I agree with Crappietom, I found out years ago, that plastic will increase your catch rate. Tipping a plactic with what the lake tells you they feed on increases the catch sometimes. Keep a log (I do) it will tell you more than you think. Like now (around here anyway) the temp is close to going to just plastic no grub or minnow. Good luck.

Sometimes I run across situations like this jigging just doesn't work, I'll find a way to get my bait down to them and "troll" past them, for whatever reason it seems it needs to be moving for them. Sometimes as good as marabou is I go to tube jigs and find they are working much, much better, maybe even a paddle tail or swimbait for this situation, might really turn them on, 1.5 mph or so... reel in fish... CPR... repeat.