• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Season opened on the 21st. We were down there last saturday, had one follow on West Okoboji then the wind really picked and almost sunk my boat. Hoping to get down there on Monday. The muskie season doesn't open in Minnesota until June 4th. Southeast part of Spirit Lake???

There are muskies in Big Spirit but most of those that are caught are caught either through the ice or while fishing for walleye. You might have some luck up by mini Waken state park or over by Trickle slough.

West Okoboji is where most people head to to try for muskies, try Emerson or Miller bays. If you can, get out during the morning midweek to avoid boat traffic.

During the holiday weekend your best bet might be East Okoboji lots of shallows near drop offs and lots less recreational boat traffic. There are some rocky shallows that you need to watch for as you travel in the lake from one end to the other.

Get a good set of lake maps and check in at some of the local bait shops such as Kabelles in Spirit Lake or Oh'shucks north of Milford.

Holiday weekends during the summer there are several flea markets in the area from Vicks corner on south on highway 86. Might be a good place for a girlfriend or wife to spend a day if she doesn't fish. If you can, avoid driving the section of highway 71 that goes from Spirit Lake to Milford between the lakes on the holidays. Lots of traffic and can take a long time to get to the boat ramps in okoboji. There is a ramp on the north end of West lake off of highway 9 and East lake has a ramp right off highway 9/71.

haven't muskie fished at the Iowa lakes yet this year but in my past trips, I catch more numbers of fish at okoboji and bigger but less action at Sprit lake. I fish Sprit more in the summer b/c it don't get near the rec traffic of Okoboji. A spot to try in Sprit is also in the northeast bay, very weedy but get to the outside where you can still cast without hanging up on weeds. I had a great couple of days last year in this area.