• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wins...

This hurts me to post as I am a Dale, Sr. and Dale, Jr. fan, but they had this on jayski's site and quite frankly, it is dang impressive. When it is all said and done, I am guessing Gordon ends up #2 on the all time wins list. I think that if the big guy upstairs had allowed Dale, Sr. the opportunity to finish his career, I think he would have been in 3rd with a win total in the late-90's, low 100's.

How do Gordon's 72 wins rank?

#24-Jeff Gordon has just hit 72 Cup wins and is closing on the late Dale Earnhardt for sixth on the all-time NASCAR winners' list, at 76. Next up in Gordon's windshield are Cale Yarborough, fifth with 83; Bobby Allison and Darrell Waltrip, tied for third with 84; David Pearson, second with 105 and Richard Petty with the seemingly insurmountable 200. But Gordon got his 72nd win last Sunday at Talladega at the age of 33 years and nine months.

1 Petty, Richard 200

2 Pearson, David 105

3 Allison, Bobby 84

3 Waltrip, Darrell 84

4 Yarborough, Cale 83

5 Earnhardt, Dale 76

6 Gordon, Jeff 72

There was some other numbers and information too, but I left some of it out for the sake of the length of this post. grin.gif

It hurts to see those numbers as I'm a Dale Sr fan, but give credit where it's due. Jeff has been impressive, and the Hendricks team has been impressive. Talledaga was a perfect example. Jeff had the car and he knew how to drive it and he pretty much dominated the whole race.

I'm not a fan of the 24 team in the least bit, but I'll give them the credit they've earned.

He'll easily pass Dale Sr in the wins list. Getting 7 cups may be a different story. I don't see anyone ever passing Petty. The competition is just too good.

No doubt Gordon can drive and will probably end his carrer in the top three in wins but probably will never beat Sr in championships,compettion is to high with every year so many could win it all.You could go to the bank with a Rousch or Hendrick car winning it in the next couple years.You need that 3-4 car team.

LEE

I think you may be right. Darn difficult to win the cup points championship nowadays. The new points system with the 10-race chase works to Gordon's favor I think, but it's just soooo difficult. Sr. might have won more championships if they had that system back then. Gordon's my fovorite driver, but with the 10-race chase squeezing the top ten (or more) together, would Gordon need an asterisk behind his total championships if he wins more than Dale Sr.???? If Gordon leads the points with 10 races left and doesn't give up the lead, then I'd say no, otherwise I'm not sure.

Quote:

This hurts me to post as I am a Dale, Sr. and Dale, Jr. fan, but they had this on jayski's site and quite frankly, it is dang impressive. When it is all said and done, I am guessing Gordon ends up #2 on the all time wins list. I think that if the big guy upstairs had allowed Dale, Sr. the opportunity to finish his career, I think he would have been in 3rd with a win total in the late-90's, low 100's.

No denying Sr's greatness and I don't want to pick a fight, but he didn't have many more wins left in him. He was 49 and had hinted at being done anyway within a couple seasons. Plus he'd only won a handful of races in the last several years. I think he maybe would have won 2-3 more tops.

By the way, just for comparison sake, Gordon will turn 34 in August and have at least 72 wins (current total) maybe more. When Sr. turned 34 he had only Eleven and I think only one championship but I don't recall for sure.

HOF, this is a good thread, I appreciate some of the Earnhardt fans who are finally starting to give Gordon his due as a driver. There is no doubt he'll rank as one of NASCAR's all time greats when he's done (as if he doesn't already with 4 championships putting him third all time...). Nobody has to like him, but to deny his skills is just putting on blinders to reality!!!

Yup, even if he doesn't win another cup, having 4 will put him in with the ranks of the all time greats. I personally think Mark Martin and Rusty Wallace will be in with the all time greats and Mark doesn't even have a cup. I have a hard time picturing him passing Earnhardt and Petty and getting 8 cups. Not cuz of his driving but because it's a whole different ball game and the competition is just too good.

Like I said earlier, I'm in no way a fan of the 24 team, but they've earned the credit so I'll give it to em.

The question I have is whether Gordan (or any of the drivers, really) will be in the sport long enough to challenge some of those win and cup totals. It seems that the drivers have more appearance and sponsorship demands on them these days than their predecessors did years ago, which makes me wonder if the burnout factor will come into play at a younger age for most. Racing on the weekends just seems to be a much smaller percentage of the total job than it used to be.

Quote:

Don't forget he'd be at FIVE already if they hadn't changed the points last year! He had the most points in real season points.

Had this point system been in effect years ago, Sr. would have only had 6 championships, Martin 1 and Kurt Busch would be at 2. Oh, Gordon would be at 6 right now also.

Interesting when you compare apples to apples. When you throw in Mr. Petty things really get difficult. He ran over 50 races a year.

I read somewhere that Gordon has said that he would like to retire at age 40. Heck, it might have been the same article I started this thread with. He averages about 6 wins per year I believe, so even if he does retire at 40 he has about 35-36 more wins in him. frown.gif

I hate Jeff Gordon for being so good ! grin.gif