• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have been on Shell Lake early on the last 3 years....even though i was targeting Bass, many of the people that were fishing for walleyes came in with maybe 1 fish or none. Shell is a deeper, clear water lake, that takes a long time to warm up in the spring.

I don't know anything about McKenzie, sorry!!!

fisher98

Buckslayer - how did Shell treat you? I've been going up there for the opener the last couple years with mixed success. Not real impressive overall, usually cold water and or weather. Was turkey hunting on the opener, so will be going there this weekend. Any hot tips to pass along?

If anyone else can tell me how to catch walleyes on Shell early in the year I would be most impressed and thankful! I believe we have the smallies somewhat figured out.

Cooter,

I am originally from the north of the Spooner area and used to fish Shell a bit. A few weeks into season we would catch them around the big point out there late in the evening on leeches and minnows. There is a rock bar on the west side of the lake, I think its the west, about two years ago we were plucking them off of there real shallow on an overcast day. Need some warmer weather though.

Do you remember the name of the bar or point? The town of Shell L is on the west side of the lake, the campground, etc.? You talking by the island or say to off to the left as you looked out at the lake from the campground?

Just got back from Shell, miserable weather. Managed to catch a pair of 17" walleyes plus three nice smallies - 17, 18, and 19". Plenty of little snakes as well. Surface temps of about 49degrees.

Both from South Bay, on the airport side. About 9ft of water, scattered green weeds on the bottom. One on a slip bobber and minnow, the other on a glass Shad Rap, hour or so before dark.