• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

skunk smell

bobbersgone

this summer i would like to keep something up north at my land,to get rid of that wonderful smell on the dog.incase the lab gets to meet a skunk.what works and dont work? i know it would be hard to get the smell totally off. time can only do that. thanks for you help

Skunk Odor Remover Recipe

1 cup water

1/2 cup baking soda

1 tsp liquid dishwasher soap

Mix well

When ready to use, mix in 1 qt 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Work the solution into dog's coat. Keep solution out of dog's face and eyes. Rinse well with clear water. This solution has no shelf life.

This does work. Once you mix in the peroxide you must use it immediately. It uses chemical reactions to turn the stinky molecules into ones that don't stink.

Don't bother with tomato juice, it doesn't work.

I tried the above mentioned concauction and was able to let my dog in the house the day we got home from hunting. "he lives inside so this was a big deal"

A product called "Skunk Off" works very well. Vinegar doesn't work and neither does just dish soap. You can buy skunk off at most vets and most pet places. It takes 99% of the odor off. Enough to let him inside the same/next day.