• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To sit or not to sit?

Just brought home my first English Setter. Cute lit'l bugger I must say. Been a Lab boy all my life....Tradin in my alarm clock and blind for a good ol' pair of boots and a game bag...

My question to toss out there is .... I am hearing 2 schools of thought. Do you teach an English Setter to sit or not? Why is your repsonse what it is?

If you intend to finish your dog completely, ie. steady to wing and shot as well as stop to flush and honoring another dog's point, then I would probably not teach the sit command. If you don't plan on doing all that and are planning on your dog being a good 'ol hunting dog then it probably doesn't matter.

gspman

I 've had my first pointer, also an English Setter, for a couple/three weeks now and I had been wondering this myself. I wish I could remember the title of the book, but the author made a good point that "sit" is the easiest command to teach and any dog at any age can be taught to sit in a matter of days.

Thanks GSP, appreciate your reply. It seems as though I hear both ways and convincing thoughts on each. So far, NO sit for me. I do plan on finsihing him off and bringing out his very best. We all have tendencies to brag, but at 3 months, I think he "gets it". Metro: Gun Dog by Wolters has been a great read. He teaches SIT though....

Thanks Setter. It was a recent post too. Appreciate your help.

He came from Mobridge SD. Sire Sharp Tails Dream and Dam was Morning Surprise which is a spin from the Havelock family. His Grandparents would be Havelock Blacksmith and Havelock Zee.

While this is my first owned (I have hunted over many) I am just giddy over the guy. Whelped 1/30/05 and yesterday in the yard he locked up tight and went on point. I realize its instinct and not a thing I had to do with it, but boy or boy was it a riot to see.

Appreciate your help again.