• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help on my Polaris Sportsman

beef

Thanks for the advice on the wheels now I have a new problem.

After I start my 2000 polaris sportsman 500 I can shift it fine into forward or reverse...But once I run the machine and for example I am going forward and let off the gas, I idle down but continue to move forward a very slow speed, BUT then I go to shift into neutral, and the shifter goes straight into reverse...Then it is stuck into reverse unless I use a rock or hammer to tap one of the shifting rods forward.. What do you think is wrong???? Sometimes the machine will die when I go to idle because it is slowly moving forward or back..When in neutral the machine runs awesome...Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Beef

Quote:

.... I idle down but continue to move forward a very slow speed, BUT then I go to shift into neutral, and the shifter goes straight into reverse...Then it is stuck into reverse unless I use a rock or hammer to tap one of the shifting rods forward.. Sometimes the machine will die when I go to idle because it is slowly moving forward or back..

Both of your examples indicates the machine is still moving when in gear. And, you need to apply too much force in order to shift from forward into neutral and then it slips past neutral into reverse.

First, is your idle speed adjusted low enough? Try adjusting it lower to see if that helps to disengage the clutch more. If it doesn't, my guess would be clutch adjustment.

i had a problem with my 2001 hanging up in gear, it was a matter of lingage ajustment. there is not much room for error on the ajustment so i would take to some one that knows what they are doing. idle speed to fast, as dave said, could be keeping the clutch from disengaging all the way. if your not doing it, polaris does reccomend holding the break while. shifting

Thanks for the replies so far...I have never had a problem with the shifting before...After I shift into reverse I usually can't get out of it... Unless I use a hammer and GENTLY tap one of the linkages. The idle was set perfect, when the machine is in neutral it idles great...If I adjust the idle which way do I turn it to lower the idle (COunterCLockwise??).. Thanks for the help, I really need it...

Beef

Can I clean the crude out..If I can do I need anything special??...I'm a novice but would like to learn how to take care of this machine...

Thanks Dave,

Beef

So, if the idle's ok, does the machine creep while in gear? If so, I'd lean towards clutch adjustment.

Try spraying the shift lever gear box with WD-40. Actually, spray all the linkage joints with WD-40 and see if that loosens things up.

Yep it creeps when in forward and reverse....So that makes it tough to shift even with the brake on..Dumb question where is the gear box??

Thanks Again,

Beef

Not a dumb question but not worth pursuing the shifter gearbox theory now. The creeping is the problem with your hard shifting. If you're sure the idle is slow enough to disengage the clutch fully, then the clutch must be the problem. That's like being under pressure (clutch engaged and trying to shift out of it. Very hard to do. Turn the idle down anyhow to make sure that's not the problem.

I agree with Dave. Turning down the idle is a quick way to rule out that possibility. I know with my 04 model SP500HO, while warming up, slightly choked, rpm's in the 1200+ range... Shfiting into gear is next to impossible without a real heavy hand. Once off choke and the revs drop back down, shifting returns to normal. Give it a shot...

I have a Sportsman 500 and had the same problem. I took it into a shop and they did some adjustment on the clutch and it stopped creeping. After about a year it started creeping and I had the same trouble as you did with shifting. In fact, it sounds exactly like the troubles I was having. I was out on a ride with some friends and I stopped to shift into reverse and it got stuck in reverse only I couldn't tap the linkage to get it to shift. What happened is that the front two screws that holds the shift lever mechanism together were loose. By looking at it they didn't look loose because they still sat flush. When I shifted into reverse the mechanism opened up in the front and the interior lever was jammed in place. I had to drive my machine in reverse 5 miles to my truck, that's no fun. At the shop they took it apart, tightened the screws and added some loctite and adjusted the linkage. No creeping and it shifts easily. Hope this helps.

You need a new fiber bushing in the primary clutch. I was an update for the sportman clutches. It's worn out and needs replacing. that's all, but its does require breaking down the primary clutch. very common problem. This will solve the hard shifting problem at the same time. the creeping is what causes it to shift hard. your local polaris dealer should have them in stock we always did.

When we had it done at a dealer it was about $100 for parts and labor. When I did it myself it was about $125 for the special tools and 27 cents for the part. smirk.gif