• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New puppy questions

FISHFORLIFE

Hi all, i just got my first lab puppy and i have a few questions for you pros. First of all, he is deathly afraid of water and i would like to know how to change that without making him afraid of it for life, and second, what is everybodies take on shock collars, i dont want to hurt him, but i want the positives and negatives of them, thanks a lot.

I assume he's ten weeks or less. Regarding the water it's way too early to worry about it. You need to let him play by the water and go in at his pace. I'd say June would be a more comfortable time for him temperature wise. 99 times out of 100 it's no problem, make it fun time by the water and he'll go in and in time never want to come out. E collars, I'd suggest trying to go it without one. Don't use it as a crutch for not training enough and being patient. I'd suggest getting a Wolters book like Water Dog to help you out step by step with all questions above and for all of the other questions you'll have it will help you and your pup for years to come.

First off let me say that what ever labs4me says, DO IT!!!

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT force your pup into the water. I know of fellas that have ruined dogs by doing that. It's all about the fun for puppies. Play by the water with him. A little fetch on the beach. Then go in yourself, maybe ankle deep. Let him come to you and play and praise. Slowley but surely he will come to love the water and you'll never get him out of it.

As far as e-collars go, if you talk to 100 different people you will get 100 different answers. Myself, I'd not use one until your pup is a good 8 to 9 months old. My own personal opinion is that, if used properly, they make a great training tool. If you do decide to use one make sure your puppy has a firm understanding of the commands you are teaching him. The e-collar should only be used to re-inforce commands that your dog already knows. It's not a tool for discipline. The lower settings will only cause discomfort, and this is good. We don't need to be putting our dogs into cardiac arrest to make our point.

Water dog is a GREAT BOOK!!!

Remember, it's all about the fun. If your puppy isn't having fun it's not working. You should be having fun too.

Good luck

Let the pup get used to the water at his own speed. I got a new lab pup last may took all summer for her to like the water, now i can not keep her out of it, anything with water in it she lays in rolls in. As far as E-collars I have the same questions. I take mine to school, and work with them but they still just dont like to come when called some times. Good luck with your pup. Nothing better then a new pup. Lynn

Thanks for the vote of confidence Boilerguy!

I think these posts pretty much nailed it on the head.... Do Not force a pup to water (especially cold water) wait till it's warm enough for you and make water FUN! Don't worry about throwing things to fetch or anything else at first... just a good romp and play time till they develop enough confidence to be in the water for an extended period.

As far as the e-collar, wait to introduce it until your pup has a firm grasp of it's basic obedience. Then begin to introduce and re-inforce commands with the collar. Get the book put out by Tri-tronics written by Jim and Phyllis Dobbs for the proper way to train with a collar. The Wolter's books are good foundations for your early on training and even a good portion of your finish work, as long as you do not cheat any of the steps.

Have fun with your pup!

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs, I say that because my almost 10 month old GSP is a MUCH better doggie because of some of your posts. I've really learned a lot from reading your stuff. And, Jeffrey the GSP is a ton easier to handle. By the way, he's HUGE!!! Almost 10 months old and weighs 90 pounds. He's a big boy and would be very difficult for the wife and kids to control if it wern't for the things I've read in your posts. We all thank you. grin.gif

Boilerguy... my 1st hunting dog was a Shorthair 'bout 90 lbs. also... was absolutley handsdown the most comical dog I've ever owned. He was a vey handsome White and Liver Dog.... He was snap to train on basics and was a great dog for obedience, but I sure made my share of training mistakes with him on upland training, but I realized I had turned him into quite a retriever! He actually did a fair amount of early season duck hunting with me. He developed epilepsy at age 6 and I retired him to live with my Mom as a house dog as I couldn't have him inside where I lived at the time... he was an awesome pet and would keep you in stitches just watching him! She pretended like she only tolerated him, but he sure grew on you, when I had to put him down it was tough on her and I had to bury him on her property... There is a huge Snowball Viburnum that I planted over him and it sure is neat to see that in bloom every spring!

Good Luck!

Ken

p.s. I switched to Labs as "Shorthairs4Me" wouldn't fit on my license plate! hehehehe grin.gif

Thank you all for so much help, i went out and got the water dogs book, what great reading, very down to earth, and i have another quick question, how much should i be feeding him, he is about 4.5 months old, and i have been giving him 2 cups a day of purina dog chow, i okay'd it with the vet and he said the food is good for him, but he just inhales his food, not sure if i am not feeding him enough or not, he is about 25 pounds, and his coat looks nice and shiny, but some places say feed him up to 4 cups, thanks for the help again.

some dogs are pickers some inhalers, I'd start with the amount on the bag and reduce accordingly if your dog is getting overweight, that's just my thoughts. For what it's worth, I'd feed him a different food though. I know millions of dogs have been fed that food but a "premium" food is better for your dog. Please don't take my opinion as criticism just my thoughts on dog food. I used to work for a company who sold bi products to the pet food industry, lamb meal, chicken meal, rice meal etc and anyone with a dog who worked there fed a premium food based on their experience and knowledge with these products.

My first golden never got over the fear of water but she had epilepsy so maybe that was a good this as she would have surely drowned if she had a seizure in water. My current golden took to water very cautiously at first like everything else she does but once she got the hang of it I cannot keep her out. She still won't jump off a dock but that's not a problem since I don't hunt off docks. grin.gif

My husband would always let his GSP pups walk along water edge and explore within a certain distance of him, usually he had a long leash at first. some of his past pups would dive right in, no matter the temp. or water depth. The one he has now is 13 1/2 and when he was a pup he was terrified of the water, so instead of forcing him into the water we would both go to the creek close by instead of a lake or deep water and we would walk into the water, still no luck, well eventually we just walked across the creek to the other side and he wanted to get to us so badly he started to cross (make sure the water is not to deep and only mid leg depth of your dog) we saw him coming across and when he got about half way we entered the water and praised him while all were in the water. A couple of times like this and no problem with water since, he loves it now no matter the depth. We gradually went to deeper areas so he realized he had to swim and not always have the ground. Good luck -