• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounts

Quackaddict9

Hmmm...

Couple things.

-I wouldn't wrap the fish in a wet towel. I would just stick it in a plastic bag. Make sure the fins are protected for sure. Some taxidermists prefer the wet towel, some don't, it depends. Whatever you do, don't get newspaper anywhere near the fish!! It may sound like a good idea but it isn't.

-I'm not sure getting it into the taxidermist quick will matter. My taxidermy man likes to group his work together. He does walleyes at one time, deer heads at another, etc. Most of the time, my mount will be at his place for a half of a year in his freezer before he gets to it.

-If they are from URL, they are definitely decent. I'd guess he's got a couple 14 3/4 inch fish on the shy side of 2 pounds. It'll be a nice mount!!

Hey, the one on the right in my avatar is a 14 3/4 incher from URL!! The 13 1/2" on the left looks like a baby! grin.gif

Use to do some commerical taxidermy work for 10 years.What i told people to do was lay on a piece of cardboard flat,wrap in a wet towel and bring to me as soon as possible.I sometimes would have them in the freezer for 3-5 months and never had a problem with mounting the fish .The cardboard would help the fish from bending the fins ,so damage would be keeped to a minumim.AS far as wrapping in newspaper, dont the ink will transfer to the fish skin.Good luck and nice fish,will look nice.

All the suggestions will work, but what I do is lay the fish down on a very damp towel, preferably a bath towel of some sort. Next I cut a piece of milk jug the same shape as the tail fin except about a inch larger then the tail fin. then I examine the fish to see which side I would like to be the show side and then place the cutout under the tail so the show side is up. Next I carefully wrap the towel around the fish and I then wrap it in a garbage bag and place into a cardboard box and write on it whats inside. This method will last a long time in the freezer. I have mounted fish that have been in the freezer for 3 years. With crappies you must take extra precaution while handling them because there scales can easily be removed with the slightest of handling. Goodluck.

They are both just under 15". I have fished URL for the last 4 years and have caught many under 15 but never a 15 incher yet. I decided it was time to Mount a few of them. According to the taxidermist I talked to Yesterday, he said wrap the fins with wet paper towel and then wrap it in a plastic bag and freeze it for a few weeks then bring it in to him. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. smile.gif