• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to mount the winch contactor ?

pickerel hunter

Well I have decided to install a winch myself. I was reading the directions (sometimes they are more of a hassle) and it said to mount the solenoid/contactor in a dry safe location, for example under the seat or whatever. By the way I own a 2004.5 Sportsman 500 in case anyones curious. I am sure that a lot of you have installed your own winch and if so are there any "good" spots to put the contactor? Curious to hear.

Thanks All,

PH

"don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things"

I mounted mine up high, just below the plastic where the handlebars come up. But....I don't have a Polaris. Not sure if you have room there. I believe the last one we put on a 500 we put back near the battery box. Dave, do you remember where we put the contactor on Dino's SP? Or better yet do you have any pictures of one mounted?

Stop making work for me, Mac wink.gif I'll have to look around to see if I have any photos.

What brand of winch? What type of switch are you using with the winch? That would tell me if it's just a "solenoid" or a solenoid/contactor in one unit.

Macgyver55 and Dave thanks for the response. Dave, I bought a Viper 2500 winch with the mini rocker switch on HSOList. The exact type of solenoid? I am 85% sure it is a contactor/solenoid combo. I used to work with a lot of contactors working on hot tubs and this to me looks like a contactor. I was thinking about installing it up near the radiator under the hood. Good idea? I don't know.

Thanks Fellas

PH

PH, if it's a rectangular device, yup, it's a solenoid/contactor; especially with a small switch. Also, I just finished installing a Superwinch wireless remote winch control module (about the same size as a contactor)in the location you just stated. The Sportsman '05's have a little hood right under the headlight pod that comes off easily to access the computer module. Your front cover comes of similar to that.

If you use that location, check the length of cable needed that run from the battery to the contactor though. I assume you're thinking about swapping the intended cables around so the short ones may be long enough to go to the winch and the longer ones (that normallly run from the contactor to the winch) can be used to go back to the battery instead. Mounting the contactor, I've always kept them back by the battery location. If you're sitting on the machine, just under your left leg, mount the contactor, using tie wraps is enough, to the square frame tube. You pull off the side panel for easier access. The contactor would then be between the plastic and mounted to the frame rail just under the seat. I haven't found any photos to show you.

Bud, I think that's where Dino's solenoid is mounted; Dino has no contactor.

Ya, sorry I remember that now. The last one I did was on a 700 for a friend of a friend from St Paul.

I made an aluminum winch mount for him. Yuck! What a lot of messing around!

PH, after you mount the contactor and run all the wiring I recommend putting corrosion preventative grease or spray on all of the terminals before closing it all up. Then once or twice a year spray them again. I worked on one a while back where the nuts had siezed on the contactor and the terminal broke loose in the housing when trying to remove it. The contactors alone are not cheap!

Thanks Dave and McGuyver,

Dave, you hit it right on the head. I was planning on installing it under that hood but I may install it under the seat now. Seems like less messing around. Just having heard what you guys have been saying has reassured me to tackle this. Thanks again.

PH

Correct me If im wrong which I probably am on this one. Is this machine the latest body? Never can keep the years correct, I do know on the new ones they come prewired to fit a warn winch on them, atleat the positive and neg are there the blue an yellow wires come on the winch. if you look on the right side under to front fender in the front there is a bracket that come off with 2 bolts, its predrilled to fit a warn soleniod and the pos and neg are there.

If its the older model, mostley mounted them under the left rear fender on the frame. I have only seen 3 or 4 soleniods go bad, Water an mud really doesn't affect them.

Sledhead, I installed a Warn on a 2004.5 and it was the older style yet.

Oh, BTW, that Warn winch came with a metal plate in which the contactor mounts too. And, that contactor plate mounts on the left side of the frame way towards the rear by the bumper.

I agree with SD, I wouldn't worry too much about the contactor getting wet and going out.

My friend and I just replaced the contactor on his 2004 500 H.O. Not an inexpesive fix. They get just to the cheap side of 100 dollars for those. His was mounted under the right rear fender as stated above, and did get wet and dirty. Upon inspection, the inside of the contactor was all corroded so the switch would not actuate. Now you said that your winch was a viper- I am not familiar with this brand, and that contactor may very well be waterproof. I would not be willing to take that chance. There is a ton of room under tne seat on those atv's, that will probably be the cleanest place for it, the only problem is dealing with all of the extra cabling that comes with the winches. The contactor on my prairie is located under my seat and I just wrapped they extra cable around in the compartment.

good luck

A note for most: When/IF you ever have any problem with a winch component, it pays to call or email the company. 99%of the time, they will send you the part for free. I've worked closely with Superwinch and Warn and they stand by its products since it's made for those types of conditions.

Hey Fellas,

I finally found some extra time to get this winch and contactor mounted. I mounted the contactor in the storage bin under the seat of my sportsman. I made a few holes in the storage box so I then could route the wires where they needed to go. I made sure everything was nice and hidden. It looks good and #1 it works well.

I decided that if I can keep the contactor dry and safe I shouldn't have any problems, or at least, problems with the contactor. When I get the chance I may take some pictures and post them. It's alright to tell you how I did it but it's easier to show you. Thanks all for your help and feedback. Safe and Fun riding to you all.

Pickerel Hunter

That is the same place that I mounted mine. I haven't had any trouble with it yet, but I also haven't been in any water that was over the seat. I siliconed the hole that I made for the wires, so the only place that the water would be able to get in there would be through the cover.