• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Phil Kessel

gopherfish

I'm so [PoorWordUsage]ed, His parents have been season ticket holders for 15 years for the badgers and he goes to the gophers. He lives right next door to Barry Alvarez for Pete's sake.

Well you guys better get one good year out of him cause I'm guessing he won't stay long. All I can say is traitor. The gophs could have the best line in all of college hockey and they'll all be freshman. It doesn't look good for the rest of the WCHA. As you can tell I'm pretty jealous.

Nolte, I feel your pain brother! We lose alot of in state talent every year to the likes of... everybody and it kills me every year. I saw this kid play the Gophers and he is the real deal! Like you said, I can't believe our incoming class! It looks good for Gopher nation in the next few years... I can only assume a winning program will bring in more top notch players and continue with the good times for Gopher hockey fans. You guys have a great thing going at UW as well, Eaves is a good coach who will get his share... I just think the bottom line was that he wanted to be a high flyer on a team of play makers and Wisconsin wasn't really structured that way. I actually think he made his decision last year when Wisconsin was playing that defensive boring trapping style of hockey (much like the Badger basketball team) It didn't hurt that he became the first Wisconsinite in history to ever play for Minnesota!! Thats pretty cool!

Did you know his girlfriend is also going to Minnesota? That probably helped as well, although he would never admit this fact. Thanks for the stud player, I expect to have him for two national championships.

Buzzsaw

The best thing you guys did was get rid of Woog and get Lucia. His recruiting for the best available tlent has been pretty remarkable. The thing that I like about college is that different players fit in different schemes and make for more exciting game. It's not all the trap and bore you get in the NHL sometimes. Also regardless of talent any of the top 15 teams can beat each other on any given night. The one thing I would like to see in the WCHA is to somehow get the teams to play the same amount of games against the same teams. The gophs benefitted from that this year and were able to jump ahead of WI. I'm sure WI has done the same in year prior though. It makes a big difference when you are trying to steal points on the road when you are playing middle of the pack teams vs bottom barrel teams.

The NCAAs should play out to be pretty exciting this year. I love the final five and it should be good as well. I know I welcome the real march madness every year.

Nolte, Ijust want to make a point in reference to your statement about scheduling.... Minnesota played the 2nd toughest schedule in the NCAA'sthis year, it was the toughest until this past weekend when Mich tech brought us down to #2 in strength of schedule. Go to this link http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=krach

Rk Team KRACH Record Sched Strength

Rating RRWP Rk W-L-T Win % Win Ratio Rk SOS

1 Colorado College 966.4 .8639 2t 26-7-3 .7639 3.235 4 298.7

2 Denver 816.2 .8447 6 24-9-2 .7143 2.500 3 326.5

3 Minnesota 642.7 .8147 10 24-12-1 .6622 1.960 327.9

4 Michigan 555.3 .7948 2t 26-7-3 .7639 3.235 17 171.7

5 Boston College 533.9 .7892 5 21-6-7 .7206 2.579 12 207.0

6 Wisconsin 505.7 .7814 13t 21-11-4 .6389 1.769 6 285.9

I just didn't want you thinking that Wisconsin played a tougher schedule than Minnesota, because that would simply not be true.

It should be a fun WCHA playoff run, you guys need to pay back AA for the stunning home playoff losses last year huh?!

Buzzsaw

I wasn't implying that WI played a tougher overall schedule, just a tougher WCHA schedule this year. As you know each WCHA team plays some select teams four times instead of twice in the WCHA. This year WI played Denver, Minnnesota, UND, UMD, Alaska Anchorage four times. These teams finished 2,3,5,6,7 in the WCHA. While the Gophs played CC, WI, Mankatao, St.Cloud, Tech four times. These teams finished 1,4,8,9,10 in the WCHA. I think it is safe to say that it is alot tougher to get points on the road in WI schedule than MN. So now they will potentially have to play in the play-in game in the Final Five mainly because of a tougher schedule. This time of the year momentum is a huge factor and that xtra game could have a negative impact. All I'm was trying to say is there should be a better way for all teams to have the same WCHA schedule to determine pairings in the Final Five because it can have a bigger impact. Other than that it should be an interesting finish for the rest of the season. I think the WCHA should look good come tourney time.

On another note, I think a testament to Kessels ability is the schools that were really trying to recruit him. BC, BU, WI, MN, Mich. Thats a pretty good list of teams to be wanted by.

No doubt we owe AA one from last year. Hopefull the young guys gained a little experience and are looking for some revenge. AA sure can get tough in a hurry though.

Ohhh OK, I get what your saying... my fault. You are correct it does seem a bit unfair sometimes doesn't it?! I think last year I felt the same way about the Gophers/Sioux comparative schedule. You guys have a very good team and are in with a group of about a half a dozen teams that could win it all... however I believe CC or Denver will win the NCAA's.... MN, BC, Wis & Mich in the next group.

I see you guys as well as the Gophers sweeping this weekend... Ithink the ND vs UMD tilt to be an awesome series.. I'm not sure who will win.. probably ND as they are the home team... but UMD is hot again!

From a Gopher hockey fans perspective, heres what I see.... We've beaten Denver 2 of 3 games, lost to CC 3 of 4 times, beat Wis 3 of 4??, split w/UMD, beat Michigan soundly, split w/ND (should have swept them in their rink) I see UMD as a potential spoiler... Minn will lose to CC in the second round of WCHA playoffs... I see CC winning the McNaughton cup with UMD possibly playing them.

Heres our current incoming class for 2005-2006.

MINNESOTA

R.J. Anderson* D R 6-0 180 7/16/86 Mapleton, Minn. Centennial H.S.

Justin Bostrom* F R 5-9 165 3/20/86 Vadnais Hts., Minn. Sioux City (USHL)

Mike Carman F L 5-11 169 4/19/88 Apple Valley, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Jeff Frazee* G L 5-11 197 5/13/87 Burnsville, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Erik Johnson D R 6-4 205 3/21/88 Bloomington, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Phil Kessel F R 6-0 185 10/2/87 Madison, Wis. U.S. NTDP

Peter Mueller F R 6-1 190 4/4/88 Bloomington, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Kyle Okposo F R 6-0 195 4/16/88 St. Paul, Minn. Shattuck-St. Mary's

Ryan Stoa* F L 6-2 193 4/13/87 Bloomington, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Blake Wheeler* F R 6-4 185 8/31/86 Plymouth, Minn. Green Bay (USHL)

Heres Wisconsins.....

WISCONSIN

Zach Bearson F R 6-2 190 6/13/87 Naperville, Ill. Waterloo (USHL)

Shane Connelly* G 5-9 175 3/16/87 Cheldenham, Pa. Chicago (USHL)

Tom Gorowsky F 5-11 185 4/18/86 Circle Pines, Minn. Sioux Falls (USHL)

Jack Skille* F R 6-0 195 5/19/87 Madison, Wis. U.S. NTDP

Garrett Suter* D R 6-0 187 6/9/87 Madison, Wis. Cedar Rapids (USHL)

Kyle Turris F 5-11 155 8/14/89 New Westminster, B.C. Grandview (Jr. B)

Buzzsaw

Well the Badgers bombed out of the final five. It just came down to Parise playing much better than Bruckler. Parise made some ridiculous saves. He made a great save in the third period off of the best face off shot I've ever seen. You couldn't of asked for better wood on one, it was a laser. And this comes from playing in a few hundred games and watching twice that many. I was at the game and it was a pretty good one except for the Red losing. We'll have to see if they can get a bid in the NCAA cause they are a bubble team now.

I was checking out the stats on the gophs recruits and they have the 3 of the top 4 scores from the USA 18 year old team. So here is a possible freshman line for you guys. Kessel, Mueller, Stoa, Wheeler. Who do you sit down. Add those guys to the rest and returning players and it doesn't look good for anybody else.

Also I was checking up and thought I saw that Hagemo originally signed a letter to play at UW. That is what the USA hockey site said anyway. Any idea when and why he switched to the gophs. Don't give me some smart-alecked remark about him wanting to play for a real team either.

Should be a good weekend for Hockey.

Nolte, I'm not sure why Hagemo went with Minnesota, I had not heard that he signed with the Badgers but if he did then cool for MN I guess. I was at last nights MN/CC tilt and I thought we outplayed them for some stretches and had ALOT of scoring chances, I really think our disallowed goal followed 14 seconds later by a CC goal was a turning point. I think CC is the team to beat but I still feel this young Minnesota team can beat them.... I'm not sure if anybody else can however. I believe CC will win it all this year and Minny two of the next three years! grin.gif

I see Minnesota beating North Dakota today in the 3rd place game

Buzz - I have to disagree. I do not think this group can stay with CC. They are quicker, better in the neutral trap by far, have a couple proven, go-to-guys that always come through in the clutch- i.e. Sterling, etc. We don't have that. Their goaltending is as good, or better, than ours, as well. I understand Donny-Loos approach w/ giving Briggs a start, perhaps to jump start the boys. But he floundered when we needed him to come up big. Third goal he let in against ND was weak, which put ND up 3-2. The fourth one that he let in was awful. He backed up towards the crease, when he should have came out and challenged the shooter, giving him less real estate to shoot at. A very Hauser-like goal. I still do not think the current team has the "oomph" to go very far in the tourney. But you never know. Hockey is the most unpredictable of sport come playoff-time. A hot goalie can stymie the best team, in a big way. I just don't see it happenin' this year. But I am really looking forward to all the young talent coming to the Gophs next Fall.. Oh, and Donny-Loo: start JJ between the pipes next game, please?

Good explanation 8 ball! You might be right! I just don't know what to expect from this young Gopher squad anymore, they really are unpredictable!

What are your thoughts on our matchup vs Maine? and then possibly Cornell or Ohio State to go to the Final four??

Buzz- Sorry I did not reply sooner. I have not honestly had the time to do some comp. match-ups between the Gophs and their opponet(s) coming up. We are in the process of moving, and our 20 mo. old little girl is in the hospital hooked up to an I.V. because she will not eat or drink. So, obviously the Gophs are on the back burner at this time. I hope my little one gets out soon, so maybe I can peek at Sat. nights game for awhile. As stated earlier, I would still be very surprised if the Gophs get to the FF. As far as I am concerned, their season has been a success, when you look at the talent level currently, and the age of the squad. I do not think anyone, right down to Donny-Loo, would have thought they would compete the way they did this year. Any wins at this point are icing on the cake, in my opinion. They will be a year older and wiser next year, and I think the young talent coming in, the enthusiasim will get contagious. JJ also keeps getting better, so we should be solid between the pipes. God I hope Donny starts JJ Sat. night. Go Gophs.... 8-Ball

First off, I hope your daughter feels better! I have a 23 month old boy and a two week old girl so I can understand to some extent what pain your going through.

Secondly, The Gophers game starts at 1:30 Saturday afternoon... I'm a bit nervous but once again I agree with your assesment of this team and how they've overachieved based on pre-season expectations and the overall youth on this team. We lose Justin Johnson, (Gain Jeff Frazee) MacKinnon, Reinholz, Smaagard & Tallackson. We bring in the All World freshman team next year so these other teams better hope they beat us this year because the next few will be alot tougher! grin.gif

Buzz- Thanks for the kind words re: our little one. We are hoping she will start drinking on her own this weekend and come home. I thought JJ was a Junior.. I know zero about the third string goalie. I have heard good things about the Frazee kid. I think they will be a little quicker next year, and should score a few more goals, with the added size coming in.. That may lessen any potential downfall that may or may not occur between the pipes. We are not losing a ton, in my opinion. Some, yes, but it could be worse. It's not like we are losing a Vanek or a Ballard.. Should be very exciting w/ Kessel coming in- and the kid from Mounds View is going to be the dark horse surprise, I think. Thanks for heads up on the game being in the afternoon- I have not been up on times w/ all that is going on right now in our world. Congrats on your new addition! Hope Mom and little one are well. 8-Ball.

Its great that "The Don" can recruit these high caliber players. Can they play as a team? Will Kessel only stay for one year? How much chemistry can they build? i hope Don has a system for these guys. Will there be enough pucks to go around? I am just not as optimistic. Seems to be too many questions.

Quote:

Heres our current incoming class for 2005-2006.

MINNESOTA

R.J. Anderson* D R 6-0 180 7/16/86 Mapleton, Minn. Centennial H.S.

Justin Bostrom* F R 5-9 165 3/20/86 Vadnais Hts., Minn. Sioux City (USHL)

Mike Carman F L 5-11 169 4/19/88 Apple Valley, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Jeff Frazee* G L 5-11 197 5/13/87 Burnsville, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Erik Johnson D R 6-4 205 3/21/88 Bloomington, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Phil Kessel F R 6-0 185 10/2/87 Madison, Wis. U.S. NTDP

Peter Mueller F R 6-1 190 4/4/88 Bloomington, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Kyle Okposo F R 6-0 195 4/16/88 St. Paul, Minn. Shattuck-St. Mary's

Ryan Stoa* F L 6-2 193 4/13/87 Bloomington, Minn. U.S. NTDP

Blake Wheeler* F R 6-4 185 8/31/86 Plymouth, Minn. Green Bay (USHL)

You can cross Mueller off your list....Bummer...