• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Was wondering if anyone has stayed at this campground. I was looking at staying at campground #3 over memorial weekend. Would you be able to fish at this campground from shore at all and catch anything or would a person be better to stay at campground #1 or #2 to have better fishing? Any would like any input as I have never been to the river fishing.

Poorbiker,

I am from the Pierre area and have stayed at Campground 3 quite a few times. I'd have to say that #3 probably has the best and closest fishing opportunity from shore as it is situated right on the Stilling Basin. Usually by Memorial Day weekend the walleyes and white bass are going pretty well there. There is also the trout fishing in the marina, and the tailrace fishing in the evening and after dark which can be pretty good also.

Hope this helps.

walleye69,

I was thinking that #3 was the best place to fish from shore, but wasnt sure. We normally stay in campground 1 or 2 but boat fish. Have you heard any reports as of yet on Lake Sharpe down around the bridges? We have had good luck there in previous springs, but if I remember correctly, it was late march/early april.

Thanks

Tadster,

I myself haven't been out in the boat yet, but know a few people who have been doing well in the last 3 weeks or so. Most of the fish have been coming from below the bridges all the way down to Antelope Creek. The bite has been spotty, but if you can find them you can take a limit in a short amount of time. A week or so ago there was a real good bite in the Farm Island area. I haven't been able to let go of the ice fishing as of yet as it has been one of the best years on the hardwater for me since I've lived in the Pierre area.

Walleye69,

Thanks for the info. We are planning on going to Chamberlain next weekend, and it sounds like the bite there has been hit and miss as well. I guess I need to make a decision; might need to consider coming to Pierre instead. I love fishing Sharpe, and have had those days where once you locate fish, it is fast and furious. Love fishing antelope/farm island in the summer. Anyhow, I appreciate the info. Good luck with the remainder of ice fishing. It hasnt been real good in NW Iowa this year.

tadster

tadster,

Let me know when you get up this way and I will try and get you an accurate report on where the best bite is going on at. I think my ice fishing season is officially over. They are calling for high temps pushing 70 out here this weekend.