• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Des Moines area ice conditions?

I am heading down to Des moines on the 5th. Is it worth packing he ice fishin gear? Am I going to find good ice anywhere in the area? It wasn't lookin good last time I was in the area and I am not sure if there has been any cold enough nights since then.

Thanks guys

Tommyk,

I don't know if the water is even cold anymore smile.gif . I'm not doing anything after work tonight so I'll check a few of the local lakes but they all had their red flags up 2 weeks ago. What part of town are you staying in?

You might have better luck dunking a jig and minnow at the Saylorville spillway if you want to wet a line.

Since you are here over the weekend you could even visit the Deer Classic if cabin fever sets in to much as it runs from 3/4 to 3/6. I'll let you know what I find out.

Abens1078

Thanks for the report.

Somehow I knew that I was gonna be disapointed. However I might give the spillway a shot. I am still itchin to catch some nice eyes/saugers since the season is closed in MN and WI now. Never tried that particular spot. Any tips/spots? Do you just bounce jigs of the bottom?

Tommyk,

It will depend on how much water they are letting through and that may change from one day to the next. The outlet can be a tackle eating pig so I usually start with 1/2 to 1 oz. slip sinker rig above a swivel and #4 or 6 bait holder hook on 18" snell and a minnow. If takes more than an 1oz I head down stream for calmer currents, just personnal preferrence though. Casting jigs and twisters tipped with minnows is another good option if the current allows.

Depending on the crowd, cast across the current flow and start your retreve and vary the speed until you get some action. If the flow is to high no one will be next to the fence. If this the case, I like the east side of the river about 200yrds down where a small hip comes out and creates a swirl or the west side below the park shelter. In these two areas I leave a slip rig on the bottom and then cast a jig and minnow as well.

My best times in the spring were from about 4pm to dark but that was because I couldn't go in the AM.

I think the nearest baitshop is in Johnston on Mearle Hay Rd. south of Walgreens. He's a good guy and is usually well aware of everything going on at the outlet. My advice is from last spring so there may be a better spot or presentation for the area. I've still been heading north for the safer ice.

Good luck

Abens1078