• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Digital Camera for Outdoorsman

What digital cameras have worked well or poorly for you guys and gals? I'm looking to replace my current digital. I'm looking for something much smaller and light weight, with good battery life, and durable.

I've heard that the digitals with aluminum casings are bad for use in the cold weather because when going from cold to warm temps, water condenses inside the camera causing them to break. True?

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a ton of money seeing as it will probably end up down the ice hole someday with the rest of my gear.

Thanks in advance.

Olympus Stylus 300 is what I have. Used it at the Bash and other getogethers this winter and no problems with the cold yet. It is supposedly water "resistant". Haven't tried that yet and hope not to but nice to know it has that feature. For a little over 200 not a bad buy.

I have the Olympus Stylus 410. SOld as water resistant, or splashproof, or something like that. Works well, good quality pics, I did take pictures in the rain once with no problems. Comes with a remote which is handy for taking pictures of yourself with your big fish/deer/bird.

I've got a 3 yr old Kodak LS443, takes great pics and videos. It's got great zoom and mega pixels, however I would not recommend the Kodak family for outdoors, at least not this bread. It's real slow, have to hold down the button forever and you're often too late to catch that deer while broadside, bird w/ backdrop etc.

Hi Guys,

My camera sucks. I can reccomend you not purchase a Pentax Optio. Unless you like to carry many extra batteries to & still have poor performance in the cold.

5.8mm to 17.4 mm, 4 MegaPix is the digits on it & in fairness it was great untill I took it on the Ice. confused.gif

A good, small 3 season camera. @ 200$

Good Fishing! -CLoma

My fiance bought me an Optio for my B-day in Nov and I couldn't belive how it went through the batteries. I took it back and got a Olympus D580 and love it. I also got rechargeable batteries which I recommend. It has worked good for me out side but I keep it in my jacket with a strap wround my neck. There was a HSOforum that had reviews and feed back on any camera out there. That is how I decided on a Olympus.