• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!!! Car sick puppy!

jparrucci

My 6 month old Brittany gets car sick and throws up almost anytime we drive anywhere. Does anybody have a cure for this? It doesn't seem to be as bad at night as it is during the day. We usually keep him in the kennel in the car. I've tried facing it all different directions, and it hasnt helped. It is starting to become a real pain, especially in this cold cause the kennel isnt all that easy to clean out, and its not fun going to family members or friends house and cleaning up a dog full of puke.

When you go to the vet in the spring when you go in for heartworm tests and other vaccs., ask them about it. You can give OTC dramamine and it does help but I don't know what the dosage is. My current dog had this real bad until about 9-10 months of age and then it started tapering off. Now she doesn't do it at all. My vet said that most "large" breed dogs grow out of it and it's rare for them to have it when the are fully grown and mature. In the mean time try not to feed for 2-4 hours before traveling. At least it will decrease the cleanup. Good luck. I know what your going through so hang in there.

gspman

Been there, done that, it's ishy.

When my GSP was younger he puked all over the place. Keeping food away from him 4 or so hours prior to the road trip helped. What really helped was rolling down a window if he was in the cab. Seemed like the moving air did the trick. In the bed of the pick up he did much better.

He's 8 months old now and really seems to be getting over it. Every trip is less puke, and sometimes no puke at all.

My GSP did this as well everytime I had her in the kennel. I was really sweating it the first time she got to ride out of the kennel with the kids but no problems. She now rides on a small bed either on the floor or on one of the seats. I also don't feed her before we take any trips.

Honestly I'm not real fond of having her out of the kennel if we have an accident or I have to hit the brakes, but I've given in after all of the throwing up. Also I like having her ride beside me on the way to go hunting as she knows what is up when she sees the boots and/or gun. Who doesn't want their best hunting buddy sitting next to them to discuss the hunting trip.

We had a similiar problem with our lab. Our vet told us to go on short little runs in the car. Maybe around town, to Victoria and back. Maybe to Norwood and back, slowly take it a bit further. Also pay attention to how you drive, which I think was my problem. Taking corners slower, coming up to stop signs at a slower speed where the brakes are used very lightly. I think it took her about to the age of 9 months before she was comfortable.

She will get over it at some point it will just take some time and patience.

GOOD LUCK!!!

My 5 month old setter was pretty bad with drooling excessively but no puke. The drool was like a gel and would be at least a quart on a short trip and more on a long trip.

My vet told me a half of dramamine tablet for the dog which weighed 35 pounds at the time. He said to be sure to give it about an hour ahead of travel time.

It didn't help a lot but some. It acts as a slight sedative to overcome nerves as much as motion sickness.

Now at 9 months it is getting better but not cured yet.

ccarlson